IGNORED

Article: Audiophile Reference Music Server For A Song

cfmsp

I have been living with my server for a few months now. I've added a new audio card, and learned a couple of things. I am now using an Auzen X-Plosion 7.1 card. I chose it for a couple of reasons, first the op-amps can be upgraded in the future if I wish. Second, it offered both optical and coaxial outputs. I have been very happy with this card using the optical output.<br />

<br />

My player is now Media Monkey Gold. It actually works rather well, and with my system, sounds quite nice. I have also ripped all my CDs to FLAC files in my computer. Working on my collection, and making playlists with Media Monkey is dead easy.<br />

<br />

To answer your question about the M-Audio card, they have a very good reputation. However, I chose to get the audio signal out of the computer as quickly as possible. The level of electromagnetic noise inside most computers is quite high. As for an external DAC, you can pick up a used MSB for a couple of hundred bucks. Although not the newest technology anymore, they remain an exceptional value. As for a tube DAC, I am not planning to go that way for now. <br />

<br />

So, with the system somewhat finalized, I am now enjoying my music collection as I never have before. It is truly liberating not to have to fiddle with discs when I want to listen. I simply boot the computer, and go! The sound is quite musical, detailed, and involving. That I am hearing new levels of detail in music I have been listening to for decades is perhaps the most telling feature of this system.<br />

<br />

There is also a nice new outboard USB DAC from High Resolution Technologies, their Music Streamer. It has been getting a lot of press lately. I ended up purchasing one to play around with when I visit my friend's house.

• 1 month later...

Hello Chris,<br />

<br />

I just discovered your site and saw this post. I'm an audiophile wanna be who has created a very similar system through years of trial and error. Here's mine:<br />

<br />

- Dell Dimension 3000<br />

- MediaMonkey using the Wave Output plugin with the volume turned off<br />

- iMonkey to control MediaMonkey using my iPhone<br />

- M-Audio Delta 1010LT PCI sound card<br />

- SPDIF output connected to Link DAC (with the powerbase) using a 50 foot headphone cable<br />

- then into my Macintosh preamp and Bryston amp into Sound Dynamics speakers.<br />

<br />

So yup, an $800 computer connected to a $6000 sound system. It make perfect sense to me except...<br />

<br />

I'm wondering a few things:<br />

1. How much do I need to worry about jitter or dither or whatever else could be compromising my sound and are there any cost effective solutions? I don't have a word clock input on my Link DAC but I have one on my M-Audio sound card.<br />

2. Does the long distance headphone SPDIF connection cause problems? My stereo is in another room. My DAC locks on to my signal and keeps it locked without trouble either at 44.1 or 96. <br />

3. I miss gapless playback, software volume control, and volume leveling that I used to have using the Direct Sound output for MediaMonkey. As usual the purist in me is fighting with the pragmatist. I'd love to sit on the couch and control the volume via iMonkey but it only works if I turn the volume control on in the Wave Output plugin. I wonder if the volume is set to 100% is it bit perfect like turning it off? Also gapless playback would be nice without giving up bit perfection. Like many non-programmers I would like to avoid Foobar.<br />

<br />

Thanks so much for your site. I'll be attending next years event for sure!!!<br />

<br />

Cheers<br />

dbdog<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

• 1 month later...

Hopefully this forum isn't dead, because it has some great info. I already own a Windows 7 HTPC (it currently has 20 TB of storage). I just puchased the Lynx AES16 sound card and will be hooking it up to my Audio Research DAC7. I, like many of you, love iTunes. Every time I switch to another application, I compare it to iTunes. I like simple, I love my iPhone remote for iTunes and I love popping a disc in and then having it eject it when it's done. All artwork is there and the Genius playlists are great.<br />

<br />

Previously I played my SACD's through an external player connected right to my pre-amp, but after my player broke last week, I'm looking to import my SACD and DVD-A collection into my HTPC. Like I said earlier, storage is not an issue. Can iTunes work with SACD on a lossless format? Or do I have to switch software? Are there any special setup instructions for the software you recommend? Is there a way to get iTunes to play back SACD or DVD-A? Will it auto switch ouput format? Thanks for the help and time.<br />

<br />

epiekarc

Sadly, there is no way to grab SACD in the digital domain. The format had to small a following, so it's never been hacked. That's the big advantage DVD Audio has, the hacking came for free with DVD hacking.<br />

<br />

You can grab the redbook section of the SACD, but I doubt that's what you want, and anyway not all of them have redbook sections. <br />

<br />

What some have done is taken a high end sound card and a recording application - you pipe your SACD player's analog out into the Analog to Digital converter of the soundcard and convert it to 24/96 or 24/192, whatever you like. With the Lynx card being one of the most respected pro audio cards out there your in good shape on that front. Since your player broke though you'd need to beg borrow or steal another player to do it.

mpdPup maintainer

• 4 weeks later...

I spent quite a bit of time comparing one DAC to another. The short answer is: Go with the ARC DAC7. <br />

<br />

Audio Research has a very solid track record, and the DAC7 is amazing. Don’t bother with USB though; Chris mentioned the Lynx card for a very good reason, it’s an amazing card. USB is really a joke, for audiophiles that is, it can't handle the data required for larger bit rates, and that's why no one offers USB at higher audio rates. I chose an XLR connection from my Lynx card, because it sounds the best and it is the best. I don’t plan on needing to replace my DAC7. So the money spent is well worth it. <br />

<br />

I would suggest not just reading reviews and spec sheets, but getting involved with a local dealer and hearing the difference for yourself. My dealer allowed me to bring it home and demo it for a week. <br />

<br />

Just my 2 cents, and enjoy the time spent.<br />

<br />

-Eric

I haven't listened to the Chord QBD76 yet. I hope to get my hands on one soon.<br />

<br />

Eric - I disagree 100% with your statementm <i>"USB is really a joke, for audiophiles that is, it can't handle the data required for larger bit rates, and that's why no one offers USB at higher audio rates."</i>.<br />

<br />

USB can handle up to 24/192 and it is an audiophile interface. The ARC DAC7 does not have an audiophile USB interface, but many DACs do. The reason nobody has offered 24/192 via USB natively is it's hard to implement with great quality, plus the lack of 24/192 content. I know manufacturers who have 24/192 working right now via USB natively without drivers. It's just a matter of where to spend the time and money on R&D.<br />

<br />

That said, I know people using the DAC7 with a Lynx AES16(e) card and they love the sound.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I read your post and many others that refer to blown tweeters. How does this happen and is it a real possibility?<br />

I have a pair of Wilson Watt Puppy 8's and the thought of blowing a tweeter really disturbs me. I'm not made of money and returning 300 pound speakers for service is not an option. Could someone explain how this would happen and how to avoid it. Thanks so much<br />

<br />

Nick

The Dubemaster