IGNORED

Article: Audiophile Reference Music Server For A Song

cfmsp

From what I've read up in forums, the difference between having an inexpensive high jitter interface, and an expensive low jitter interface is the difference between having to reconstruct the signal or potentially leaving the signal alone or not doing very much to it. I also read that high jitter signals reaching the dac can overload the circuits that reclock it, leaving more jitter than the dacs claim is left. It seems kind of like compression: low jitter doesn't need to be reconstructed (like uncompressed data), while high jitter needs reconstruction (like compressed data) which depends on the reclocking mechanism of the dac.<br />

<br />

Cavan

I just realized the true implications of this article. Sonically, the cheap Dell is the same as the Mac Pro. This means that the computer part of the equation is pretty much irrelevant in that any system marketed nowadays will work as well as one of the highest end computer systems. This only leaves the interface as the main cost and factor when it comes to a music server. So, are there any other digital interfaces that will output with similar low levels of jitter to the Lynx? Is the L22 equivalent in terms of jitter (you mentioned it only doing 24/96)? Do any I2S interfaces exist except for the off-ramp? How about a motherboard with I2S output?<br />

It will be interesting to see where this technology evolves.