IGNORED

Article: Audiophile Reference Music Server For A Song

cfmsp

<br />

Vincent,<br />

<br />

Yes I agree. I'm using a far cheaper sound card, simply outputting a bit perfect optical stream from my sound card into the DAC within my ADM9.1's. They sound fabulous.<br />

<br />

I can't see how there is a difference between bit perfect from one card to another; I guess drivers have an impact but if you're bit perfect then surely you're bit perfect.<br />

<br />

Chris - just out of interest - how are you controlling this system ? A PC connected to a monitor ? Media Monkey is tought to control from your sofa - I try to but it's not ideal. Maybe there are some good skins out there that make this a little easier.<br />

<br />

I'm very interested in how you're controlling it.<br />

<br />

As for your server, I just knew it would be a combination of a cheap PC with enough processing power to media files and an expensive audio card. Great reading.<br />

<br />

Regards,<br />

<br />

<br />

Matt.

HTPC: AMD Athlon 4850e, 4GB, Vista, BD/HD-DVD into -> ADM9.1

<br />

Yes, I think the "definately not reference quality" is a slightly strange comment. Not only is it a quiet PC but I believe Chris mentioned he had it shut in a cabinet or something.<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

Clay,<br />

<br />

Why does a $500 computer seem an odd combination with a $5k DAC.? All you need the computer to do is to RIP, manage and store your files - and of course have enough power to get the audio from the RAM to the audiocard. Most computers of ANY value, even a few years old, can do this without even a blink. So Chris has simply tried to get the best audio output from a computer based server for a little as possible. It does exactly what he set out to achieve.<br />

<br />

As for your question re bit perfect I believe jitter is the problem here. Low cost audio cards are known to produce loads of jitter whereas Chris has used a card that is well respected within the industry. <br />

<br />

I read on and see that Ashley has recommended the Edirol range of cards - external USB/Firewire devices. I'm sure they'd do a great job too, and if I feel the need to playback hi resolution audio I'll probably buy one of those.<br />

<br />

If you wish to have a nice expensive Mac Pro sat alongside your expensive DAC then great... I took the far cheaper DIY route and whacked some decent quality audio components into an HTPC case. The fanless heatsink, upgraded silent power supply and rubber grommets around the hard drive mean its super silent. <br />

<br />

MAtt.<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

Kristian,<br />

<br />

Configuring either Vista or XP for quality audio output really isn't that difficult, even without any computer knowledge. A little bit of fiddling is all you need - adding the wave out dll file to Media Monkey is straight forward, selecting it easier still ... just make sure you've installed your audio card correctly.<br />

<br />

I can see how it may scare some - but my brother set his up with a new firewire interface in minutes without asking me any questions. I felt left out ;;; I wasn't needed :-( <br />

<br />

Matt.

<br />

The Lynx cards suffer from unacceptable levels of jitter ? Really. I am shocked by this. Isn't it almost an industry standard and very well respected within pro audio circles.<br />

<br />

I'm sure the pace-car is a great product, but, it's a hell of a price and since I'm told that in my system jitter is a "non-issue", I'd be scared to fork out that sort of money to eliminate something that may not make a difference.