IGNORED

Converting FLAC collection to AIFF

Yes, just to XLD for the conversion to AIFF as Max IGNORES TAGS WHEN CONVERTING TO AIFF. This has been said numerous times. XLD is far superior in converting FLAC to AIFF. It can delete source files, it can also add the AIFF files to iTunes, it can also split flac/cuesheet files to single AIFF files while inserting all Tags including cover art!!

• 1 year later...

I always use max for converting flac-to-aif but there is problem I think. My flac files' bitrate changes after converting procedure, I meant oversampling or what etc.

For instance 05 - Consortium Vocale & Alexander Schweitzer - Gregorian Chant Crux Fidelis, from 2L records, its bitrate 2305 kbps, after converting its bitrate 4608 kbps PCM.. ?!

iTunes setup is automatic, what is going on also ?

XLD also gets my vote:

- maintains correct bit rate and resolution even for hi-res files

- maintains tag data (& gives you the option to edit)

- can automatically add to iTunes

- save to your iTunes music folder and the files will end up in the right place (as per iTunes prefs)

If you want smaller files on a Mac you can convert to ALAC. This is Apple's lossless compression format. You can always convert back to AIFF/WAV/FLAC if required without loss of quality.

Santar

And, as much as it pains me, I've gotten to the point where I basically have two copies of my music library on my NAS: a FLAC one for archival purposes and for my Linn DSes and an AIFF one for my iMac and iPods. Given how easy XLD makes it to recreate the latter from the former, I would, metaphorically, grab the FLAC one if I had to run from a burning building.

I do use a Boot Camp Win 7 dbpoweramp for most of my ripping and have it do a FLAC and AIFF encode.

I've been happy enough with XLD that I never bothered to try other options. It will convert FLAC to AIFF or ALAC (which has no disadvantage over AIFF). For cover art, just make sure the image file is called cover.jpg and it will be automatically included in iTunes when everything else is automatically loaded. You can have it do everything in batch mode, and drill down recursively through your whole library file structure (and preserve it, optionally, when the ALAC or AIFF files are output). I have it temporarily write the output files to /tmp and then have it autoload them into iTunes (which also copies them unless you have instructed iTunes not to). Then I double-check to make sure everything got loaded in ok. What resides in /tmp gets deleted upon reboot.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to downloading XLD last night onto our iMac. No issues. I then purchased the Uncompressed version of Band On The Run from HD Tracks. That took about 20 minutes to download and once it was done I selected all tracks through XLD and hit go. It took about 10 minutes for XLD to convert. Once it was done they were in iTunes and ready to go and man...do they sound GOOD!

Thanks again to this forum!

Bill

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W