IGNORED

Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms Now Available on HDtracks

there is no reason in the world to offer it at 96/24 much less 192/24.

Brother in Arms is a digital recording from 1985. It was recorded on a Sony PCM 1630 at either 16/44.1k or 16/48k.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

Teresa

The 24/192 version is so far below the standard set by "Love Over Gold" in 16/44.1 , that it appears that HD Tracks doesn't listen to the HD material that they offer for sale.

What a waste of $25 this was.I have now re-ripped my 1985 CD version to see if it is this poor too.

Shame on you HD Tracks !

Alex

P.S.

I have only listened to "Brothers in Arms" and "Money for Nothing" so far, and I am not sure that I even want to listen to the other tracks.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I downloaded the album in 96/24. The first 5 Songs are the shorter LP (Vinyl) versions, not the CD-versions. In the attachment the 9 Tracks above are the HDTracks-Download, below are a rip from my CD. I assume, the first 5 are side one of the LP. Strange thing they mixed that up...Don't know, if the 192/24 is also crippled.

I think these are the "technical issues". I dropped them a note. I hope I can download the "right" versions again.

they are refunding everyone's money, and apologizing for the technical issues surrounding this download....

win8 (on Fujitsu ah532 , 6Gmem), Musical Fidelity vlink192, Benchmark Dac1-usb, Jriver mediacenter 18, HDTracks 192/24 (mostly), DROBO FS, 2xNuForce Ref. 18 monoblocks, Paradigm Sig s8's, 2xParadigm Sub2's (240v, two seperate, independent electrical circuits feeding these), various high-end analog cables, ZeroSurge power filters (except on subs), sennh. hd800 headphones.

But since when is ripping people off, then saying you are sorry, classified as a technical issue.

Wowza

Regards,[br]Rob McCance[br]Audiophile, Engineer for Cadence Design Systems, and Founder of Atlanta Real Estate Info[br]Mac Mini w/ Pure Music+iTunes>>Audiophilleo2>>Metrum Octave>>Passive Attenuator>>GFA555II>>JBL6332

i agree, they need to stop doing this kind of thing.....not simply apologizing for it.....

win8 (on Fujitsu ah532 , 6Gmem), Musical Fidelity vlink192, Benchmark Dac1-usb, Jriver mediacenter 18, HDTracks 192/24 (mostly), DROBO FS, 2xNuForce Ref. 18 monoblocks, Paradigm Sig s8's, 2xParadigm Sub2's (240v, two seperate, independent electrical circuits feeding these), various high-end analog cables, ZeroSurge power filters (except on subs), sennh. hd800 headphones.

Hi Forrest

I have just received an email from HD Tracks regarding the reasons it was withdrawn.

Although ostensibly 24/192, the actual track supplied was 16/44.1 That explains why I found my 1985 CD version to sound better.SF9 showed it as 24/192, but the contents obviously were not high resolution. I have been given a full refund, and the attached is part of what HD tracks had to say.

I doubt that they will mind me quoting this important information.

Regards

Alex

"the title was incorrectly labeled by one of our engineers. For the time being we have put this title on hold until such time as we can be certain that we are able to offer the best quality files available for this title."

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

Please see the other thread on this release. This release is not up sampled--but it is sourced from original basic tracks that are not high resolution. It was remixed analog and then transferred back to digital in high resolution format. At least that was the way it was done for the DVD-A/SACD release.

Not trying to defend HDtracks, just passing on the info.

The HD Tracks explanation was that the tracks I downloaded were actually 16/44.1 due to incorrect labelling.

If that was correct, then my DL would have been far quicker, and Sound Forge 9 would not have shown them as 24/192 files.

Alex

I got a refund for this too. I just don't understand why HD Tracks does not inspect the files before offering them for sales. They could even automate it, if having a person do it is too time consuming. If there was another option for HD downloads of music I like, I would drop HD Tracks in a heartbeat. I have bought maybe a dozen albums from them, yet this is probably the third time something similar to this has happened to me.