IGNORED

BoudoirPod - $1,500 max

What would you do for an interesting $1,500 bedroom system? Let's assume it's iPod driven and you already have the iPod. Sound AND looks are important, since if the wife isn’t happy in there … well, use your imagination. Constrained to the audio outs on the iPod, but extra inputs on amp/rec are fine. Thems the rules. So, what would you do? Here's my thoughts at this point -

Since I can’t find quarter size Khorns or LaScalas, and Oris fails (WAF

I always like challenges and have often thought about such a system for myself. Yes the WAF is huge for me as well.

What about the Roth Audio amp for $749 at Amazon with the Klipsch RB-81 speakers for $335 at Amazon? This doesn't get you a sub, but I bet the sound would be fabulous. Is the sub a must have or is it optional? This is just a rough draft of course. Given some feedback and time we all should be able to design a pretty cool system together.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Thanks Chris

Yes, it's a good, reasonable challenge. Not a quick decision.

The Klipsch would probably sound great, different than the Fostex full range solution, I'd have to get cherry to have a hope. Not the prettiest looking things, tho I like em.

Good point tho - they probably would sound pretty good without the sub. The fullrange probably need a sub. Given I can't find a tube amp with sub out so far, your suggestion is pretty interesting.

I'd never seen that Roth stuff, looks pretty interesting. Keep thinking! No super rush.

Keep in mind that a number of subs don't require a low level input to drive them - they use a high impedance input that steps down the signal from your amplifier output. A couple of high end sub manufacturers (Vandersteen, Thiel, REL) actually prefer this route since it retains the low frequency characteristics of your amp. You want to run your mains full range and use the sub to supplement it because the passive high passive filters are horrible. Obviously it doesn't work for the LFE on a home theater, but that shouldn't be a concern here. I do know of one very small incredibly elegant looking speaker that has genuine low bass, veneer finish options, and an incredibly high WAF. It lists at 1K so it probably wouldn't work out but they have enabled me to use real speakers instead of in walls on a number of occasions because they look so nice.

Audio Research DAC8, Mac mini w/8g ram, SSD, Amarra full version, Audio Research REF 5SE Preamp, Sutherland Phd, Ayre V-5, Vandersteen 5A\'s, Audioquest Wild and Redwood cabling, VPI Classic 3 w/Dynavector XX2MkII

Sorry, I just thought about this. This is a discontinued product by Rotel. It was either a receiver or an integrated, I can't remember which. It was actually designed for the European market where size matters in the inverse. Very slim, low profile, moderate price, especially if you can find one used. Kind of sleek without getting into the "lifestyle" thing and pretty decent sounding. If you are interested let me know and I will track down the model #. I actually used the CD player from the line in my bedroom for the same reasons you stated. Actually, I am living alone now so maybe my advice in bedroom matters is suspect.... This, with the speakers I described and your source would be very nice, require no sub and come in below your budget, assuming you can find one. My personal opinion is that this would offer better sound than a pro piece.

Just found the model. It is the RA-02 and listed new for 499.00. It really isn't bad and I'm a snob. Here is a link; I didn't pay any attention to the verbiage but there is a picture. If you can find one, I would think that 275 or so would be in the ballpark.

http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/rotel_ra02.htm

Audio Research DAC8, Mac mini w/8g ram, SSD, Amarra full version, Audio Research REF 5SE Preamp, Sutherland Phd, Ayre V-5, Vandersteen 5A\'s, Audioquest Wild and Redwood cabling, VPI Classic 3 w/Dynavector XX2MkII

This is the little speaker I was talking about. It is a B&W and it is a refreshing change from the voicing of their previous products. Much smoother and rather warm and musical, which is a direction they seem to be taking. Better driver integration than in the past as well. Easy to drive and requires modest power. Here is a very large picture, sorry about the size. They come in maple, wenge (think walnut with nicer grain) which is what is shown here, and rosenut, kind like a rosewood actually a dark reddish stained cherry. At any rate...

http://equityaudio.com/marketing/ViewProductImage.htm?id=668

Sorry, just realized how big it looks. It is only 11 inches tall and is down 6db at 45hz.

• 1 month later...

That link doesn't work for me ;(

Last night, my wife actually said we need some better music in the bedroom (Glooooooooooooory), so I'm back on this project.

The Klipsch would probably sound great, but I need to branch out (Oh, it pains me).

I'm guessing the link was to B&W 685's. I've never really listened to B&W's.

I like what I see in the 685's (~$600) and also the 684's (~$1,100).

I continue to hear good things about the Tektons (~$300-350) full range with or w/o a small sub.

What do you suggest for bedroom speakers in the ~$500 and ~1,000 range? They don't need to part my hair or kill mosquitos that fly too close. Just good sound at normal volumes for ... well, you know, bedrooming ...

I'm thinking maybe a Scott or older McIntosh for power. Maybe one of the new iPod tube amps that glow fancy colors. Maybe my Outlaw, but I do like those thin Rotels.

Remember sounds and looks good for the bedroom!

Suggestions?

I really like where you started, with the Tekton single-driver speakers. I almost pulled the trigger on these last year, chickened out and bought 2-ways. But while I was thinking about them, I talked to Eric Alexander, the designer/builder/owner and when I told him I really didn't care about thundering bass, he actually recommended me away from his biggest ones and toward the 4.5s. He said that had better dispersion and a sweeter, more transparent midrange. I liked the sound of that. And the Tektons are very efficient, so they don't need much power. Get one of these to go with them...

...it has a built-in USB DAC. Just drop your iPod into its cradle and pump lossless digital files through glowing tubes into hi eff single driver speaks. How cool is that? And if it isn't cute enough for your wife, it comes in silver, black, yellow and red too. How's it sound? Google Glow Audio Amp One and read the 6 Moons review. They swear it was performing WAY over its head.

Tim

I confess. I\'m an audiophool.

I like it, I like it Tim - thanks

I'd just read a bunch about those 4.5's today and they sound like a bargain. I too like the Glow job! Hoo wee, red, yellow, pearl. Seems their website is misbehaving a bit, but that's the type of gizmotron to make the wifey happy. $500 bucks for the Glow One and $300 for the Tektons, or ~$500 with exotic wood (I think) and I'm still $500 under budget.

Hey Chris - a question for you. With an amp like this having USB input, and the iTouch having wireless, couldn't I stream from the wireless server to the iTouch and plug it into something like this Glow One to kick out the proverbial jams?

Then I'd have the iTouch/Signal to also control the laptop system on the main rig.

Am I confusing it's capabilities?

Thanks

George

Right you are Chris. It's the extreme that sits at the top of my mind because I want it back here in my office with my music hard drive, sending tunes to wherever my laptop goes!

Funny that this issue with the bedroom system should come up now, because ever since I ran into that little Glow Audio 5 watt tube amp the other day, I've been thinking about those Tekton 4.5s, or maybe even the 3s...on my desktop...near field...with a sub under the desk.

Surely there's a way to wire a powered sub off of the speaker terminals of a 2-channel amp?

Tim

I confess. I\'m an audiophool.

The speaker I sent you the link for is the B&W CM1. Much nicer looking than the new 600 series. The 685 lists for $480.00, the 684 for $650.00. If you can deal with the size difference, the 684 is far better. More open, more dynamic, more bass extension. The CM1's are very smooth sounding and have lots of bass plus a choice of wood veneers, very cool looking drivers, magnet attached grills, etc. They are smaller than the other two but the penalty is price; $1100.00/pair.

Whatever you end up with, having the marital unit on the same page is always a good thing.

Eric at Tekton is making me some speakers. I went for the 4.5's, with his sub, so they all match. I'm going to hold off on revealing the finish, so I have a suprise to share down the road. I expect them to be unique. I can say I'm not a member of the bubinga club and all the quilted finishes look better to me on guitars. Eric was kind enough to agree to make exactly what I asked him for. Hopefully, it will have been a good choice.

These small amps are popping out everywhere. I really don't want a separate DAC in the bedroom, so internal DACs have an advantage. I'm going to get the speakers first, as choices abound.

I also want to get Drobo wireless squared away before making the wrong plunge on an iPod amp. Thanks for the great suggestions. I went a bit over budget with the sub and finish choice ...