CD Players with useable DAC's

Are there any CD players that has digital inputs that will allow you to use its internal DAC? I know the Cambridge Audio Azur 740c has SP/DIF Coax and optical inputs. However, this model is discontinued. Any ideas of others?

Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition / Stax SR-009, SR-007 MKI, SR-007 MKII

Lumin A-1 Network Player

iPAD Pro / JRemote App

JRiver 21 / unRAID NAS

Interesting looking

Regards,[br]Rob McCance[br]Audiophile, Engineer for Cadence Design Systems, and Founder of Atlanta Real Estate Info[br]Mac Mini w/ Pure Music+iTunes>>Audiophilleo2>>Metrum Octave>>Passive Attenuator>>GFA555II>>JBL6332

Another player you might look at is the OPPO. I don't think it has digital inputs, but I know it can play digital files from hdds via USB and ESATA and from flashdrives. And it's one nice player as it's SACD, DVD-A and Blu-ray.

-Chris

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Almost all the top of the line Carys, except for the 303/300, have digital inputs.

*ANTIPODES CX--- Ethernet--->

*CARY DMS-600 STREAMER/DAC---> XLR ICs--->

*CARY SLP-05 preamp (Ultimate Upgrade ed.)---> XLR ICs--->

*CLAYTON M-300 amps--->

*MARTIN LOGAN Spire speakers.

All Danish manufacturer's CD players are really good and now with the new XS series also amazingly good DACs: Densen B-410XS, B-420XS, B-440XS and B-475 Super Leggera. Review can be found in: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/densen/1.html. New XS model is much better.

Levono T400 2.93Ghz T9800 128GB SSD --> Own player programmed against event style WASAPI driver / Mac Pro 2008 8 core 20GB with Sonnet Tango USB FireWire --> Own player programmed against the lowest level HAL / iPhone 5s --> Own player programmed against the HAL -->Cardas Clear Serial Buss (USB) 3m --> Wavelength WaveLink HS 24/192 USB to SPDIF converter --> Audioquest VDM-1 1m --> Densen B-410XS (Cardas Golden Reference Power 1.5m) --> Cardas Neutral Reference interconnect 1m --> Densen B-110 Plus (Cardas Golden Reference Power 1.5m) --> Cardas Neutral Reference speaker 3m --> Dynaudio Contour 1.1

Interesting looking

The Marantz is worth more than a look. Superb with cd's and SACD's and excellent digital inputs although the USB is "only" 24/96 capable. The other digital inputs are capable of receiving 24/192 PCM and can sound superb while doing it. A great player at an almost bargain price is what Absolute Sound said of this piece and I would have to agree.

PS. It is actually a SA8004

David

I use the one on my Lindemann 820S, it got 3 S/PDIF inputs and 1 AES/EBU.

SOURCES| Lindemann 825, Lindemann 820S ● MacBook Pro 2010 ◊ Audirvana Plus ● Acoustic Signature Storm ◊ SME IV ◊ Sumiko Blackbird

AMPS| Lindemann 830, Lindemann 858 ● Graham Slee Revelation

SPEAKERS| KEF Reference 205

SUB| REL Gibraltar G1

POWER DISTRIBUTION CENTER| Nordost Thor

CABLING| Nordost: Valhalla XLR, Valhalla Speaker Cable + Valhalla Jumpers, Vishnu & Shiva ● Light Harmonic LightSpeed USB Cable Split Configuration ● Furutech: Lineflux XLR, Silver Arrows ● Oyaide Tunami GPX-R, Tunami GPX ● Klotz XLR to RCA

• 1 month later...
Interesting looking

I've the SA8004 for 6 months now and it is outstanding both as a CD/SACD player and also as a DAC in the $1000 price range. The multiple inputs and the range of configurations it offers took me some time to optimize the Music Server - DAC setup but now I'm at the point were I get the same SQ from the CD and from the HiRes files.

My actual setup>

Music Server : Dedicated Toshiba A105 / Windows 7/64 / 256SSD / 1,5TB external storage

- Player: JRiver MC17 + JPlay + Fidelizer (Kernel Streaming) / Unified Remote @ Android (Bluetooth)

- Cable: USB Oehlbach Max

CD/SACD & DAC: Marantz SA8004

- Interconnect: RCA Oehlbach NF 214 MASTER SET

Amplifier: Audio Research VSi60

- Loudspeaker Cables: AudioQuest

Loudspeakers: Celestion A1

R.Bremer

I've the SA8004 for 6 months now and it is outstanding both as a CD/SACD player and also as a DAC in the $1000 price range. The multiple inputs and the range of configurations it offers took me some time to optimize the Music Server - DAC setup but now I'm at the point were I get the same SQ from the CD and from the HiRes files.

My actual setup>

Music Server : Dedicated Toshiba A105 / Windows 7/64 / 256SSD / 1,5TB external storage

- Player: JRiver MC17 + JPlay + Fidelizer (Kernel Streaming) / Unified Remote @ Android (Bluetooth)

- Cable: USB Oehlbach Max

CD/SACD & DAC: Marantz SA8004

- Interconnect: RCA Oehlbach NF 214 MASTER SET

Amplifier: Audio Research VSi60

- Loudspeaker Cables: AudioQuest

Loudspeakers: Celestion A1

I never see those Celestions anymore. Nice speakers and I'll bet the ARC drives em beautifully.

David

I never see those Celestions anymore. Nice speakers and I'll bet the ARC drives em beautifully.

True... The ARC VSi60 - Celestion A1 combination is really nice and fits my room acoustics perfectly...

R.Bremer

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i have 7yo yamaha c750 which is a universal changer (dvd,dvd-a,sacd,cd) that has both multichannel analogue and digital outs(spdif and toslink) that i was going to try through the schiit gungnir dac when i get it(c750 also plays my dvd-a's and hybrid/dual layer sacds in digital out to my avr)

about the same time onkyo had a similiar changer try to find one on ebay or from the manufacturer bobbmd