IGNORED

Lavry Engineering Paper on Hi-Res

We all agree (I hope) that everyone has a right to their own opinion and views. But, I find reading from the professionals very educational and enlightening. However, does not mean I agree 100%.

Sampling Theory For Digital Audio - Lavry Engineering

www.lavryengineering.com/documents/Sampling_Theory.pdf

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View

by D Lavry - 2004 - Cited by 4 - Related articles

Sampling Theory For Digital Audio. By Dan Lavry, Lavry Engineering, Inc. Credit: Dr. Nyquist discovered the sampling theorem, one of technology's fundamental ...

I posted this on another thread, and was mentioned this paper deserves it's own thread. And I am smart enough to know I have a lot to learn and experience.:)

Alpha Dog>Audirvana+>Light Harmonic Geek>MacBook Pro> Sound Application Reference>Modwright Oppo 105>Concert Fidelity CF 080 preamp>Magnus MA 300 amp>Jena labs and Prana Wire cables>Venture CR-8 Signature[br]

Maybe as a business person he sells what will sell? I dunno. But, what I get out of the "general message" from his thesis is 196 and above might be out of range of human hearing. It seems to me, now a days, maybe too much emphasis on the highest hi-res numbers, rather than the quality. To me, I would rather have 44.1 done state-of-the-art, than 196 from mid-fi, IMHO.

Alpha Dog>Audirvana+>Light Harmonic Geek>MacBook Pro> Sound Application Reference>Modwright Oppo 105>Concert Fidelity CF 080 preamp>Magnus MA 300 amp>Jena labs and Prana Wire cables>Venture CR-8 Signature[br]

Spectral, as good as it's reputation and quality is, leaves me cold, un-emotional, if you will. That is why I am trying to end each post with "IMHO". All I know, and all I feel, is what effects me emotionally when I listen to music. That is the only criteria that I know and understand. If I can, I would a t-shirt that says, "It is not the size of the bits, it is how those bits work their magic."

No, I think we are wrong in thinking that the more bits, the more horsepower, the more resolution, the more "more", is the key to hi-fi nirvana. I am going on the record by saying it is not the greatest amount of resolution one can obtain, but rather the quality of what 44.1 represents. Do that right first, then you can move forward, no?

Peter, what do you own ears tell you?

Barry,

I read your very interesting and informative threat where you where trying to get higher res fro a blu ray player, and did you find a better sounding player (please no Oppo). Sorry for the OT people.

LOL. Typo. I am typing in bed.:)..Yes alone and in pjs. i noticed you did not mention usb.

I wish I could comment, but I can't. This thread has gotten to a level of not just layman's opinions from the web, but ideas presented by some very smart people. All I know is to keep a open mind, learn what I read here on this forum, then sit down in front of my system, and enjoy as well as listen, with a more educated ear.

"Coincidentally -and well known by now- I don't "need" HiRes at all. So, I am for 100% sure not advocating HiRes to be Walhalla. I never even play it (ok, also for the reasons that 95% of it is flawed to begin with).

Still I use a 768KHz converter, or let's say 705.6Khz while playing 16/44.1. And really, it is magnitudes better than when used at 352.8KHz. Should be impossible, right ?"

Very interesting stuff. Listen to 16/44.1 , but not in native form, rather in highly upsampled 768kHz. I would definitely save $$$$, by listening to my CD collection, instead of buying all over again from HDTracks!:)

And, in looking at the clock, one's eyeglass prescription might be several years old.

Mark, I see you use Naim and McIntosh together. No wonder you think you need more resolution.:)

"I've also said I find the jump from 24/96 to 24/192 be more significant than the jump from 16/44 to 24/96."

In the video world, 4K is the new buzz word. Why? Because it sells. We are living in a "what is new" society, not in "what is best" society. I think, all things considered, the sample rate (in itself), does not a great recording make.

In all due respect, I am not missing anything by listening to a "lesser format". What I am doing is enjoying the music, without wondering if and when trees will grow money. I do know that if one concentrates on the spakers, amp, preamp etc., then the amount of bits is not SO important. IMHO. I will take 16/44.1 on a Kondo any day over 24/192 on a Denon. My point? Hi-Res is not the game changer it it marketed to be.

"Of course one can enjoy great music on a table radio too"

That is not the point, and far from it. I am talking about listening with a quality 2 channel set-up with enough dynamics to simulate a near concert experience.

Translation from Peter: I just got a great job with benefits, so, I don't care what you think or hear.:)

No, I think it was Linda Lovelace.:)

Love your Constellation gear, Demian.