IGNORED

Computer OS Help (Windows)

Could a windows' knowledgeable members please advise me about the computer I just messed up?

I was running Windows 7 on one of the two 250GB partitions of my hard drive (on a windows computer). On the second partition, drive D, I used shrunk the partition by 20GB to create a third partition, let's say drive E, of 20GB. Then, I installed XP onto drive E.

The problem is that I could not reboot into Windows 7 so I reformatted the drive E partition to erase Windows XP so that it would have no choice but to boot into Windows 7 on drive C.

Alas, it has messed everything up. Now, I cannot access any OS. I naively thought it would be like OSX on my iMac, where you can simply point to a volume with an OS to boot from.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thank you,

ron

Thank you all. I will try as suggested.

About shrinking the volume, I used the system tools to do this.

as an aside, this afternoon, I reinstalled XP. What I was hoping to do was to see the Win 7 administrator's desktop (that's me) so that I could grab some files that weren't showing up in Win 7 because of a problem I had with a virus that turned folders on my USB drive into .exe files. When I (perhaps foolishly) ran a program I found online to fix the virus, it worked, but it also made many folders on my usb drive and an important work folder on my desktop invisible to Win 7 explorer. I know it didn't delete these because on my iMac, I can see the folders on my USB drive that I can no longer see on my Win 7 computer. Very confusing and frustrating.

Anyhow, thanks again for the advice. I really appreciate it!

cheers,

ron