IGNORED

Computer OS Help (Windows)

Could a windows' knowledgeable members please advise me about the computer I just messed up?

I was running Windows 7 on one of the two 250GB partitions of my hard drive (on a windows computer). On the second partition, drive D, I used shrunk the partition by 20GB to create a third partition, let's say drive E, of 20GB. Then, I installed XP onto drive E.

The problem is that I could not reboot into Windows 7 so I reformatted the drive E partition to erase Windows XP so that it would have no choice but to boot into Windows 7 on drive C.

Alas, it has messed everything up. Now, I cannot access any OS. I naively thought it would be like OSX on my iMac, where you can simply point to a volume with an OS to boot from.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thank you,

ron

Hi Ron,

No worries. If you follow the instructions in the like below, you should be up and running again.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/20864-mbr-restore-windows-7-master-boot-record.html

Please let me know if you have questions!

Regards

Peter

“We are the Audiodrones. Lower your skepticism and surrender your wallets. We will add your cash and savings to our own. Your mindset will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.” - (Quote from Star Trek: The Audiophile Generation)

Thank you all. I will try as suggested.

About shrinking the volume, I used the system tools to do this.

as an aside, this afternoon, I reinstalled XP. What I was hoping to do was to see the Win 7 administrator's desktop (that's me) so that I could grab some files that weren't showing up in Win 7 because of a problem I had with a virus that turned folders on my USB drive into .exe files. When I (perhaps foolishly) ran a program I found online to fix the virus, it worked, but it also made many folders on my usb drive and an important work folder on my desktop invisible to Win 7 explorer. I know it didn't delete these because on my iMac, I can see the folders on my USB drive that I can no longer see on my Win 7 computer. Very confusing and frustrating.

Anyhow, thanks again for the advice. I really appreciate it!

cheers,

ron