IGNORED

Where best to sell Mac Mini's?

joelha

Where's the best place to sell Mac Mini's (I have three of them believe it or not)?

I've upgraded their drives to SSD's and 8GB's of RAM but Audiogon shows no Mac computers (not that that's necessarily a reason for me not to offer them there).

And I'm concerned Ebay users won't care so much about these computers because those potential buyers aren't as likely to be audiophiles.

Maybe I should list them on both sites but I'd value anyone's input about this.

Thanks,

Joel

3-4 y old Minis on Ebay are fetching $500-700! This was one reason I ended up going with a PC (who are these people that are paying 90% the price of a new unit?). Without knowing how much extra you have invested in the SSD and RAM, I'd say you'll do just fine selling on Ebay.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

Has Chris considered a classified sales or trading area on the site? Maybe that's an area best left for others. Good luck selling your minis. I also have three. Funny how these things seem to multiply. I just "dissected" a late 2009 mini to put in a SSD and 8 gb ram and after holding my breath everything worked once reassembled.

Mac mini late 2009 to TC Impact Twin by firewire, two 2 TB external USB drives plus networked from D-Link 323 NAS for music storage. Ethernet and WiFi connected to Sonos, Squeezebox Duet, Apple TV2 depending on listening room. Main 2 channel system: Jeff Rowland Consonance preamp, Krell D/A, Belles 350a amp to Von Schweikert VR4 Senior Mk2 speakers.

Can't you just show it as a digital source on Audiogon?

Which version Mini is it?

Frank Mercurio[br]Brisbane, Australia[br]Bel Canto S300IU | 2009 Mac Mini | 750g miniStack | Audio Physic Yara | Blue Circle Thingee DAC | Bryston Speaker Switch | ERA Design D4 | Signal Cable Speaker wire | Belkin Pro USB cable | iTunes | Play (FLAC) | iPhone w/ Remote App

Make that 90% to 120% of the list cost. For used gear with no warranty? That's crazy.

E-Bay, and to a lesser extent, Audiogon seem to be a paradise for people making money off fools. Individuals on e-bay selling stuff are a rarity nowadays. Those commercial sellers are not paying even a fraction of what it would cost an individual to list and sell something these days.

Audiogon costs quite a bit too, $4 plus 2%. Plus PayPal fees. Yikes!

If you are charging it off as a business expense, well and good. If you are an individual, not so good.

I would really love it if Chris allowed non commercial classifieds, but it is what it is.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Ebay charges 9% minimum, capped at $100. That doesn't include Paypal, or anything special.

So, Audiogon is much better regarding cost of selling than Ebay unless you're selling at very high prices where the Ebay $100 cap comes into play. I don't know if Audiogon caps their fee. A $500 dollar sale is $14 vs. $45.

-Chris

You sell your wife and you won't have an iPad to live in; you'll be out in the iStreet...

Frank Mercurio[br]Brisbane, Australia[br]Bel Canto S300IU | 2009 Mac Mini | 750g miniStack | Audio Physic Yara | Blue Circle Thingee DAC | Bryston Speaker Switch | ERA Design D4 | Signal Cable Speaker wire | Belkin Pro USB cable | iTunes | Play (FLAC) | iPhone w/ Remote App

Whoever said people on audiogon are fools, I disagree. The hi-end world is old-fashioned, low-volume bricks and mortar prices with minimal discounts (maybe 10-15% off, except for the occasional demo), while on audiogon you can find new/demo/used at huge discounts. So, personally my goal is to buy any equipment I can off audiogon. For pure computers, like a mac mini, I personally would buy new at Best Buy, etc. but that's a competitive industry, unlike speaker industry. I got my Cremona Auditors as demos from a dealer from audiogon for 40% off list price.

mac mini 2011, Transparent audio usb cable, bryston bda-2, hegel h300 integrated amp, audio physic virgo 25 speakers, transparent audio speaker cables interconnects and digital cables.

I said it, but I wasn't talking about the buyers, or the honest sellers. Especially not most of the dealers.

I was talking about the people that list a $100 item you can buy on Amazon for $100, for $110 plus shipping plus Paypal fees on Audiogon. I think those people qualify as fools. :)

If you can order the item for $100 from Amazon, with no shipping, no tax, and no credit card fees... Well, what else would you call them? Wannabe crooks?

I am pretty cool with buying from some Audiogon sources, as people here helped me with what to watch out for. But there are some (fill in the blank) would-be sellers who are just crazy.

Also, while some things hold their value well, only rarely is a 10 year old hunk of gear worth 50% of the current list price.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein