IGNORED

Mytek Multichannel 8x192 DSD capable DAC

Thank you Miska. I'm sorry I brought up the issue of RME MADI card in connection with DSD. While there are studios using the RME MADI cards to transport DSD, they are using a proprietary method not unlike the dCS DSD disguised as PCM. The 8X192 MADI interface, when the DSD firmware is complete, will allow products like Pyramix Hours and Mykerinos to communicate both PCM and DSD data.

Any thought on my part of using MADI as a general purpose consumer DSD interface was ill conceived.

Tailspn...what do you mean 'IF' Michal makes a USB card? Take a look at the Mytek website. Last I looked there was a USB card already available for purchase AND it had the words DSD printed on it.

I've had one 'on order' for months. I mean I hate to say this, but this is so often the problem is it not. Many of us (myself included) are getting way ahead of ourselves in excitement here...we see things like this, read the blogs and think its going to happen...

We are in reality just manic depressives, swinging from hope to despair. At least that's the way I feel at the moment with all this ...

The whole DSD playback industry appears to me to be ripe for this right now. It's not just Mytek. Right or wrong, that's the impression I'm getting... Everyone seems to be built on hype but run on the smell of an oily rag...

As a famous Hollywood actor once said 'Show me the money'...SHOW ME THE....

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

But Tailspn, I recommend you go back and read the entire thread carefully. In particular the bit b/w me and Pacwin after PeterSt chimmed in. This may very well be the same as the rigisytems card (or be derived from this) I don't know for certain, but if it is, it's use seems to be bogged down in the same driver issues as the USB 2x192 interface. Again I stress this is all hypothesis, but I suggest you go back and read the entire thread very carefully.

So this is the crux of the entire issue. Here we have a potential interface that can be bought as a bundle with the 8x192 for nix. Potentially plugged into and used with something like Miska's HQ player for again around ...what? Less than $100....and at the same time we have Emotion coming out at what?...with the cards..my guess is in the 2-3K range. Maybe more!

What I say is all conjecture and Emotion hopefully will be a truly tested solution, but you can put two and two together.....

I guess what I'm saying is, sure I'd be happy to pay big dollars for Emotion. If its a true tried and tested solution. I mean what audiophile is unhappy spending big bucks on this wonderful hobby...right? But you'd feel pretty daft, if right after doing that, suddenly there was basically a 'free' solution 'miraculously' available ...

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

If I understand your statement and what Michal's said to me (recounted earlier in this thread), I believe the 8x192 won't do DSD over USB, only over Firewire. I believe due to higher processing requirements for USB that the DAC chip in this unit wont support.

I thought it would be the other way around... Remains to be seen if the firewire processor (ARM7TDMI) can cope with detection and unpacking of the DSD. But I think it should have enough oomph. For the USB it should definitely work.

For the DAC and ADC chips it's completely transparent.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

• 2 months later...

Where are we at with all this?

I've been absent a while, my 8x192 still sit's unused, in a box, without either a USB or Firewire (or any other) card..

What's happened to Emotion?

What's happened with the Mytek Drivers?

Any other software or hardware developments? Come in Chris?..Ted?..Pacwin..?..Miska?..Tailspn?...Michal?..ccclap?..PeterSt..Anyone?.. :)

Bump >

• 3 weeks later...

Bump >

• 4 months later...
Any news on when will mytek release the multichannel DSD DAC?

I honestly don't believe Mytek is working on a multichannel DSD DAC per se. They have the subject of this thread, the 8x192, which needs drivers and firmware for consumer (i.e not SDIF) firewire or USB mch DSD..but this DAC is getting long in the tooth, tech wise. They have stated (as have I) more than once that they will experiment with a stacked set of three Stereo 192's and a firewire hub (I will be an alpha field test for that)...but no announcement or implication that they will release any new multichannel DSD DAC.

I honestly don't believe Mytek is working on a multichannel DSD DAC per se. They have the subject of this thread, the 8x192, which needs drivers and firmware for consumer (i.e not SDIF) firewire or USB mch DSD..but this DAC is getting long in the tooth, tech wise. They have stated (as have I) more than once that they will experiment with a stacked set of three Stereo 192's and a firewire hub (I will be an alpha field test for that)...but no announcement or implication that they will release any new multichannel DSD DAC.

Hum...

Ok.

So should I ever consider going to a multichannel DSD route it may probably be through various 192-DSD with a FireWire hub, is that correct?

I ask this because I've been meaning to buy the stereo DAC but been kinf of hesitating on waiting or not for a Multichannel version.

A little of topic but, no chance we will ever see DSD256 or DXD on the mytek, will we?

Still no Direct DSD128 on OSX? What's de current status of development?

Cheers,

Tiff

• 1 month later...
.but this DAC is getting long in the tooth, tech wise. They have stated (as have I) more than once that they will experiment with a stacked set of three Stereo 192's and a firewire hub (I will be an alpha field test for that)...but no announcement or implication that they will release any new multichannel DSD DAC.

Ted what exactly is long in the tooth tech wise about this DAC? I'd be happy just to use it in stereo mode frankly with a firewire card and a Sonore. Do you happen to know if this is possible? I've totally given up now *ever* seeing a multichannel solution with this DAC.

Do you know why they would go down the path of a stack of three stereo Dac's and a firewire hub when they've had this DAC for a couple of years now capable of basically the same function? I simply don't get it. Wap

..And what ever happened with Emotion? "Emotion" alright.. Yeh let's talk about the "Emotion" waiting for this to be released.... What a perfect name for this (non) product...What a farce. It was announced around a year ago now..to great fan fair.... Quite frankly I don't think *this* will ever happen either..

Cheers all. Wap "the bozo" OP'r.....

(P.S> I wish I had never got on the bus)

Ted what exactly is long in the tooth tech wise about this DAC? I'd be happy just to use it in stereo mode frankly with a firewire card and a Sonore. Do you happen to know if this is possible? I've totally given up now *ever* seeing a multichannel solution with this DAC.

Do you know why they would go down the path of a stack of three stereo Dac's and a firewire hub when they've had this DAC for a couple of years now capable of basically the same function? I simply don't get it. Wap

Michal states" The 8X192 does not sound as good as the Stereo 192 so why use it then ?

Why not? If only we could...

This DAC is perfectly capable of doing 2x192 (very well)..if only Mytek would support it...

And why buy 3 stereo dacs to do multichannel DSD when this dac is perfectly capable if Mytek would just get of their ..... and spend the time on a driver for the audiophile market...

With all due respect just because Michal says the 8x192 doesn't sound as good for stereo as the 2x192 doesn't mean a darn thing.. Why wouldn't it sound just as good? The DAC chip's in the 8x192 are perfectly capable and near on identical to the one in the 2x192 are they not (correct me if I am wrong)

You going to believe everything a manufacturer tells you..? yeh they said a USB card was released 12 months back for the 8x192...even advertised as available on their website... like we all believed *that* as well....

Cheers

• 8 months later...
You should trawl through the sa-cd.net forum. There are a handful of people running high end DAW's, Meitner, Mytek and Mykerinos hardware. It seems that niche of a niche is also in flux with Horus and Emotion. Mykerinos is on the way out. you should get alongside "tailspin" since he is the fartherest out in front with computer based McH DSD.

Interesting. Would love to find a way to use the Meitner DAC6/SE for DSD Download playback. For now, the Oppo will do.

Any particular threads to follow on sa-cd.net? They don't appear to have a search feature for their forum software. So it will be tough to find the those discussions.