IGNORED

Mytek Multichannel 8x192 DSD capable DAC

mmmmm...Ok then.

Well that being the case, if one was a true DSD fanatic (and I'm no saying I am), but if DSD really IS your thing, and you want 100% driver reliability, then really there appears to be no other alternative than to go DAW via the appropriate computer soundcard. And hope that Merging hurries up and releases a more consumer/audiophile version of Pyramix with DSD capability. Or adds DSD into one of their cheaper versions. And maybe hope one of the sound cards appears on ebay...

It's been a while since Emotion was discussed see

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Merging-Technologies-Emotion-Music-Server and

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Merging-Technologies-Mykerinos

And the problem here is we still don't know

1/ when it will be released (it's been 7 months since the press release) and

2/ If in fact you will have to get the Mykinos card to use it and

3/ If in fact this will all play fine via the Mytek...(there is a MADI optical I/O Mykinos daughter card available..so theoretically this should be OK with the Mytek MADI card

See http://www.merging.com/uploads/assets/Merging_pdfs/Mykerinos/Mykerinos%20User%20Manual.pdf

Otherwise spend the extra 3-4K on the RME/ and full Pyramix and be done with it. But I'm still not 100% sure that RME card will do DSD though.

Emotion has been in beta now well over months. I wonder if Chris know anymore? He tested it...

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

and you want 100% driver reliability

I don't think anybody is going to compromise driver reliability. I know it's long time for those who wait. I could tell a story or two about all the frustrations I've gone through on making non-DAW computer DSD a reality, even just for myself.

Having been in multiple large product programs and going through the entire process I know what it takes. I could tell some tales about that too...

I don't know which one is worse for you, to know about existence of the process or not. In any case, you are hopefully among the first ones to eventually have such a thing. :)

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Thanks! Clearly if what you are doing works, is reliable and robust, then fantastic. :) :) :)

You'll also save us thousands of dollars. And the 2x192 owners will luv you do death...

You may well be "the Messiah"..

But the "proof is in the pudding" as they say..

I know this is an English metaphor, but it really does pretty much sum up the whole situation.

PM me if you don't understand :)

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

You should trawl through the sa-cd.net forum. There are a handful of people running high end DAW's, Meitner, Mytek and Mykerinos hardware. It seems that niche of a niche is also in flux with Horus and Emotion. Mykerinos is on the way out. you should get alongside "tailspin" since he is the fartherest out in front with computer based McH DSD.

"Hours is very interesting. But no one has heard the Premium DAC card required for DSD/DXD playback. It will be available in March, with an 8 channel DAC only configuration listing for about $14,000 US with the required Pyramix MassCore 8 software. The Premium 8 channel ADC and mic pre card adds another $2,400, and has been on trial for several months now by a major classical recording production company, who is not sharing comment." - tailspin

"I compared the Mytek Stereo 192 DAC to the Mytek 8X192 and and Meitner DAC8 using the SDIF inputs, and original DSD edit master files from a Sonoma editing station. I found it very natural sounding with solid base, warmth, and a very detailed midrange. It has all the characteristics of the ESS9018 Saber DAC with the advantage of the analog stages of the 8X192 DAC. Since it's stereo, I had no way to witness the imaging advantages of multi-channel, but I have no doubt it would be very competitive. For $1,500 for all the features it possesses, I know of nothing at 3X the price that's even close." - tailspin

Music Interests: http://www.onebitaudio.com

Designed and marketed in the US,

Original technology from Japan

Parts from China and Switzerland

Put together in Poland

Controlling software from The US, Finland and Holland

Manual on Computeraudiophile.com

Test pilots in Australia, US, Singapore and goodness knows where..either waiting their turn, or already flying the thing, but reporting problems with the steering

:)

Well aware of the costs

As you know things can get very expensive..

The real problem as I see it is the technology is still in the hands of the audioengineers and recording boffins

Myek is to be commended for attempting to shift the momentum towards the "mere mortal" listener. A few levels down the "Niche" tree as you put it...

Your right we are talking about the niche of the niche of the niche here...

Moving away from DAW's is the key. It's just those making these moves seem to be running the show from one man shops. Fantastic efforts on their part. Don't get me wrong. I believe they are the future. They totally rock. But they are one man shows all the same....

The real problem as I see it is the technology is still in the hands of the audioengineers and recording boffins

For instance I use the excellent stock Korg MR-2000S recorder for stereo DSD playback. Some users have replaced the 80GB internal drive with larger TB drives and I believe the new MR-2000S BK comes with a 160GB hard drive.

I do not use my Korg for multi-channel audio, but multiple MR-2000S recorders can be synched together for multi-track DSD recording and playback. The Korg can be used for high-quality recording and playback in 5.1 or 7.1 surround-ready multi-track. By designating one MR-2000S as the master, the transport controls, recording and playback modes and setting of marker points will be shared with the additional units. This lets you perform recording and playback with multiple MR-2000S units synchronized. Word clock and transport commands such as PLAY and STOP sent via the S/P DIF cable enable this function.

Of course one of the problems of this multi-channel approach is cost. The sale price for 3 MR-2000S units from Sweetwater is $5400. This is at least half the price of other pro audio solutions but it is probably not as capable or flexible, which for many pro audio engineers is more important than cost.

You know everyone forgets about Korg...

Yet they have been doing DSD for years.

You would still need a DSD capable DAW though. Correct? I wonder if anybody has done what you say....

Audio midi doesn't do DSD I don't think. Pyramix only runs under Windows.

Why, at least with Mac OSX, do not use the feature to aggregate multiple sound card with Audio MIDI Setup

It is possible on Linux too. And some ASIO drivers on Windows support it. But I've never attempted it with Firewire or USB interface. Works fairly OK with PCI and PCIe cards though.

I have my doubts how well it would work with FW/USB.

(it always requires word-clock sync, otherwise different interfaces would run out of sync at some point, but that's not a problem with Mytek or other pro-audio intefaces)

I'll try to see what happens with Echo AudioFire4 (FW) and the Mytek 192 (FW)

I'd be interested to hear how much you get phase/time difference between each other. If you have four speakers or have a mixer you can see how much echo you get if you play L/R channels to both simultaneously.

Otherwise, just record those four analog channels in sync and see how much they have time delta L/L, R/R.

If I correctly recall one of my recent conversations with Mytek, Michal suggested to me using multiple 2x192 units to yield what would in effect be the "consumer version 8x192". One would be the master clock and others would sync to it. The point was this would TODAY yield:

- m-ch DSD

- sabra chip

- volume control

- pretty case

-etc

Sorry, I had forgotten this until the posts above jogged my memory

Thanks

-Caleb

C.A.P.Sv2-Mytek Stereo192-Twisted Pair Audio Buffalo III M-ch-Sennheiser HD800-Beyerdynamic T1-Lexicon MC12b-Theta Dreadnought-Infinity Prelude MTS-Sonos-JRiver MC-12TB DataTale eSATA

That's promising.. but what do you do?

Maybe I'm daft but don't you still need a DAW? Lets say you have a multichannel DSD track. How else do you split the channels and know how to send "what" to the three sync'd 2x192 Mytek's. And surely you would still need a DSD capable soundcard. Just what is the physical hookup arrangement of all the hardware you are describing here?

I believe, just as you now send DSD 2-ch to 2x128 using DSD capable player like jriver mc or hqplayer by mapping 2-ch to myteks 2-ch, you would do the same for more ch w multi units...its channel mapping in the playback software.

No need for daw or sound card as the Mytek(s) are external coundcards via FireWire.

Others can correct me if I'm wrong...

-Caleb

C.A.P.Sv2-Mytek Stereo192-Twisted Pair Audio Buffalo III M-ch-Sennheiser HD800-Beyerdynamic T1-Lexicon MC12b-Theta Dreadnought-Infinity Prelude MTS-Sonos-JRiver MC-12TB DataTale eSATA

To be honest, I am pining all my hopes on Merging Technologies "Emotion"

Why?

Well with Merging (Pyramix), they already have a proven multichannel DSD solution with the Mytek

So I will be keeping my DAC until Emotion is released. (It can't be long now)

Now if they play funny buggers and for some crazy reason disallow the Mytek as a DAC extension option...well I am afraid I'm done..

• 2 weeks later...

There's a thread about Emotion experiences here:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?3955-Merging-quot-Emotion-quot-using-Mykerinos-Card

that is relatively recent. The unknown issue to me is the Pyramix hardware involved. I believe the Mykerinos cards will be superseded by Horus, but in that form, is too expensive to be practicable. The Mykerinos cards support SDIF and MADI with daughter cards, both of which your Mytek 8X192 with appropriate interfaces support. The good news is that Mykerinos cards will appear on the used market at reduced prices as studios switch to Hours.

I use the 8X192 as a multichannel DAC from a Sonoma for DSD playback. I find it to be the best sounding DAC of all that I've tried, which includes all the popular studio DSD DACs. Hang in there with your investment, and you will be well rewarded.

threads here. Please search them out and feel free to comment.

I'm very glad you spoke up about the 8X192. Michal is very proud of the DAC (albeit a very different chipset than the Mytek Stereo192DSD Sabre-based DAC) and thinks the overall balance on the sound of the DAC is very good, so I'm excited that it will, with the right cards, etc. morph into a true universal multichannel DAC (DSD, PCM) in the coming months.

I think many of us here are a bit confused about the Merging product set and where each fits. It should be fun exploring, though.

Encouraging comments. Please keep us updated with whatever you find... :)

Thank you Ted for your warm welcome. I was first introduced to the 8X192 at a Kansas City Choral recording session last year where it was the ADC and DAC interfaced via SDIF to a Pyramix Workstation. I was so impressed by what I was hearing that I borrowed one, and never looked back. It possesses a resolution and detail that I previously didn't think possible. There's a blackness around each instrument/voice that is different than any DAC I had used. While I experienced this with DSD pre post production MCH session files over large electrostatic speakers, all my SACD files gained in a spaciousness and realism.

My obvious enthrallment aside, Bricasti (producers of the top rated M7 studio reverb unit) introduced their $8,000 2 channel M1 DAC last autumn to rave reviews:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/fifth-element-67

The M1 uses the same Analog Devices AD1995 used in the 8X192.

Hi Tailspn

"While I experienced this with DSD pre post production MCH session files over large electrostatic speakers, all my SACD files gained in a spaciousness and realism"

Can you post your setup? I see Sonoma can be bought in an 8 channel configuration, which is obviously more than enough for a surround audiophile. This is great, because we all know the Mytek is definitely compatible with Sonoma. And Sonoma is a US company right? All this gives me way more confidence that this combo would work. But just what's involved in setting up the 8 channel Sonoma system? Are you able to buy the software without all the other expensive audioengineer "add on" mixing gear and hardware? It's a real shame these guys don't enter the "DSD playback only" market as well to get the cost down for folk who just wish to play DSD files at home..

So I've contacted superaudiocenter.com to see what they say about providing a bare bones DSD 8 channel playback (only) solution.

In the meantime Talispn, I'd still be interested in how you have set yourself up.

Cheers

Hi Wap

Sonoma is a Digital Audio Workstation that includes a full length PCI card and software. It's sold and supported by Gus Skinas of the SuperAudio Center, a Bolder Colorado USA company. It's much more than a player, and once you get used to it, it's very difficult to return to playing SACDs from a transport/player. I rip all the SACDs I purchase, and would like to hear again, to hard drives through the Sonoma, and thereafter, play them off a time line from the Sonoma graphics. This allows instant access to any part of the piece I'm interested in, and unlimited ability to instantly skip around the piece, plus also the ability to alter the individual channel levels with the Sonoma mix engine content.

I packaged mine in a computer tower case from SuperMicro, the same as Gus sells as his stand alone system:

http://www.superaudiocenter.com/images/Sonoma32.pdf

The case, motherboard, CPU, memory and hard drives can be purchased for about $1,500. It runs on Windows XP or Win 7. An alternative housing approach, probably about the same cost, plus the price of an appropriate laptop, is shown and described here:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?5928-Should-I-buy-a-Sonoma-dsd-system

My listening system includes five SoundLab M-1PX speakers:

http://www.soundlab-speakers.com/m1px.htm

Five Parasound JC-1 800 W amplifers:

http://www.parasound.com/halo/jc1.php

Passive balanced attenuator of my design.

Modified Denon DVD1640 Universal player to extract six channels of raw DSD and Word Clock for ripping SACD.

What a setup. Incredible. You are just the sort of guy this thread needs!!

I've emailed a few queries off to Gus.

I've actually got an old Macpro as my current music server. It takes PCIe cards, so I'm pretty sure one of those Magma PCI adapter boxes would work, and of course there is no problem booting it up in Xp or Win7.

I'm really sure this would take off if Gus got it happening for playback only. As you have read from all the comments in this thread, it would be totally huge if an 8x192 Mytek could be easily setup this way via that Sonoma card...

There would be some mega big advantages as you know.

Good 'ol USofA all the way. Proven DSD drivers and support all from the one place. No "European" compliance issues with this driver won't work with that card or DAC etc etc.. and proven interface (that works). Optical cable separating computer.

This is what this forum is all about. I really appreciate you posting this info...

Cheers.