IGNORED

Mytek Multichannel 8x192 DSD capable DAC

This thread has been started as a spill over from the Mytek Stereo 192 thread.

I thought the time had come. Given all the interest on the new Mytek stereo DSD capable DAC. This was bound to focus Audiophiles with QUAD interests, towards the multichannel big brother of the Stereo 192.

Let me begin by lifting a quote straight from the designer himself Michal from Mytek. Posted 23 Feb 2012 on the stereo 192 thread.

He says the following about the Mytek 8x192 playing multichannel DSD:

"I generally say that this unit is not quite ready for this yet, and we do not intend to market it to audiophiles before we built something more specific for the task. It's a professional unit with industrial packaging and features which is currently used by several labels to produce DSD using professional DSD systems such as Sonoma and Pyramix and it works well with these. As a matter of fact the multichannel Pink Floyd demo at Hyatt at last RMAF was played off Sonoma through this unit. But noone used it yet with a standalone computer because (without special dsd hardware) - that is not yet ready.

There is a USB card that will eventually have ASIO DSD drivers similar to these in Stere192-DSD-DAC but they will be done _after_ we sort these for the stereo DAC first. In other words the 8X192 can be adapted to the task eventually but all components including multichannel DSD playback are still in alpha and will remain so this year. Early adopters pls go ahead and experiment, I'd love to work closely with potential beta testers but again, expect a bumpy ride if you want the 8x192 for audiophile DSD playback."

Ok....this above statement is very encouraging, but as you can see there is a fair way to go... So lets begin.

First of all, let me say from the outset I own this DAC. But it remains unplayed in a box. So don't ask me how it sounds, because I have no idea!~! Nor am I an audio or electronics engineer. So don't expect an indepth dac chip analysis of the thing or that I have pulled it all apart or intend to mod it or something. My background is just one of a simple audiofool. With a bit of QUAD interest "on the side" For those who don't know what QUAD is see www.quadraphonicquad.com

Now back to why? Well it's all about DSD. Those of you who have (or have had) a top quality SACD collection are all aware of two things. 1/ That some SACD's are recorded in DSD format and 2/ That some also have multichannel DSD tracks on them as well. Marry this with a top quality direct DSD capable SACD player ( I have an NAD M55 but there are several others)..and you have heaven. But wait a minute. I'm not talking about converting the DSD tracks to PCM on the fly and outputting via HDMI here. As a well know poster on the Stereo 192 (and other) threads ..Mr tedB (he is the guy with the piano avatar) puts beautifully. If it's PCM, then let me here PCM. If it's DSD then let me here DSD !!

Now the way you do this with these SACD players (that don't convert) is to output the stereo and/or multichannel output from the SACD players DSD specific DAC...straight via multichannel analog out ports. Most of these these days are RCA outputs. Probably because it is near on impossible to purchase a receiver these days with multichannel XLR analog inputs. Sure these receivers (Like the Marantz for example) might have balanced outputs, because they connect to power amps via XLR connections. But NOT XLR inputs. The important thing to remember is NO HDMI.

So back to the Mytek 8x192. This has mutichannel DSD analog output capability as well. Just like my SACD player. Now do you get my drift? Now do you know where I'm coming from? But the first problem is getting that multichannel analog signal out of the thing.

## Problem 1 Getting the analog sound out.

The 8x192 has what is called a DB25 connection. Sure Mytek has DB25 multichannel cables to connect here, but they have balanced XLR connections. Even though in the Mytek's manual, it clearly states the DAC is capable of unbalanced analog signals at this output. So what to do? Well be warned. The only cable I could find with RCA connections was this one: http://www.infinitecables.com/av_snake-cable-8ch-db25-rca.html from infinite cables. Though the physical connections seem correct, the pin out is not. This cable is an old THX pinout used to get audio IN to old style receivers. So it will not work. The Mytek conforms to the pro audio Protools/Tascam/Apogee DB25 pinout.

The alternatives are to get a specially made cable, or use a breakout box. Michal mentioned Mytek actually make a DB25 to RCA multichannel cable (I think), but he didn't reply to an email I sent him on this, nor is it on the Mytek website.

Miska (of Signalyst) fame suggested a TASCAM breakout box. This has huge potential, because it will easily convert balanced to unbalanced RCA for you. And it allows some attenuation at the box, which should help match up the signals nicely for consumer grade multichannel receivers. It's also a TASCAM (same protocol). This box can be looked at here: http://tascam.com/product/la-81mkii/ They aren't expensive. But be warned, this solution remains untested.

## Problem 2 Getting the digital DSD signal in.

There are THREE potential ways

1/ Via a proaudio card

2/ Via a firewire card

3/ Via a USB card

To find out more on these visit the Mytek website. Basically these cards slot into one of two expansion slots in the Mytek

Option 1, the proaudio route, was what Michal was elluding to in his quote at the very beginning of this thread. You would use one of these to say connect to an RME PCI or PCIe MADI card in a computer (that is the name of the RME interface) and then run a special DSD version of Pyramix DAW to play the tracks out via the card and to the Mytek. Simple. This is a proven way for multichannel. But I'm still not 100% sure it will do DSD. I think the card only goes to 192kHZ PCM. And these "extras" Card = around $1500 (and software I think around 2-3K), makes things start to add up a bit

Option 2, the Firewire route. Michal has says this is the best proven way (for stereo)..but again..he has also said firewire is becoming outdated. I'm not going to get too much into this argument. But I will say it's unproven whether the Mytek can do 8x192 via this firewire card

Option 3, is USB. This is the most exciting option, because as followers of the Stereo 192 thread know, drivers are being written to support Stereo DSD direct via USB. Michal has said the USB card for the 8x192 will do the same. (STEREO that is) To find out what is going on with Rigisystems on all this etc, see the stereo thread. It's way over my head...

So there we have it. It's exciting. Why do you ask? Well we now know labels like Channel classics are releasing there SACD DSD collection online for purchase. It was the Stereo Mytek ,that was the trigger here. If we can get the multichannel version going, who knows, sites like Channel Classics might start releasing their content in this format as well. The 8x192 could be bought by folk looking for Stereo DSD playback ?now/soon, but with the option of going multichannel if/when it is supported....

I encourage Michal to visit this thread and comment. Also, please those who have asked or commented about this multichannel version, on the Stereo 192 Mytek thread: could they copy and paste their desires/comments/ and requests over here as well. Of course ANY other input is also welcome!!

Have fun

Wap

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Simple question - of which I most probably missed the answer in the 192 thread :

Why do you want/need ASIO for this ?

Peter

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

The USB interface has been on Mytek Catalog for at least 6 months. All 8x192 with USB option shipped without USB interface even if USB interface is specified. This is a very very long waiting time with execuse for more important priorities such as ASIO driver for Stereo DSD DAC. Mytek should obtain enough resources to cope with this issue to allocate resource to both 8X192 and Stereo DSD DAC.

Well you don't actually NEED it.. nor do I necessarily want it.

It's a matter of 1/ improving cost and familiarity to mere mortals (if you don't go down the computer card/DAW route) or 2/ integration with more computers and lack of redundancy (if you avoid firewire)

As I said, I wasn't going to get into the debate of firewire vs USB.... it's way complicated enough on the stereo thread.

There you go, I didn't know you needed ASIO to run the DAW'S, or a cut down version of the software..but the next question is....do you actually need a DAW?? :)

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Yeh, PJ, I actually agree with your post here. I think Mytek have to be very careful with advertising the USB card option, when it clearly is unavailable right now. I wanted this option too...I have even paid for it in the "bundle"..

Wappinghigh

Given what you've described on this and 2x192 thread, why haven't you returned the 8x192?

If you were to get a different m-ch DAC what would it be (or none since you want DSD)

Also, why haven't you (or anyone) tried FireWire , at least for now?

-Caleb

C.A.P.Sv2-Mytek Stereo192-Twisted Pair Audio Buffalo III M-ch-Sennheiser HD800-Beyerdynamic T1-Lexicon MC12b-Theta Dreadnought-Infinity Prelude MTS-Sonos-JRiver MC-12TB DataTale eSATA

That's a very good question Caleb

Yeh. Many times I have thought this. Or on selling it. I'm sure if it was in the hands of Miska, ted, or PeterSt we might get somewhere on all this.

But a part of me kinda still believes this can happen (pretty easily) once the USB driver and card issue is sorted. Fundamentally, I don't see why not. Concerning Firewire, I'm waiting on a reply from Michal on this. As you know, he isn't the most reliable on email replies :) Also I'm not sure there is a driver for multichannel playback via firewire either...?Stereo maybe. But multichannel not sure..

The other thing is I'm keen on Stereo as well, and that should be a no brainer and easy to connect once the USB driver is sorted. This DAC has a volume knob, headphone jack, and separate XLR stereo outputs just like the 2x192. So I see no reason why this DAC won't be a cracker for stereo, like the 2x192

One of the problems (though not an excuse) is the tyranny of distance. I'm over 10K KM's from you all. It's a 36 HR journey to NYC or Europe...

At the start of this thread you asked us to provide what info we know about the 8x192 and the reason for our interest. Here's mine

1) REASON FOR INTEREST:

I have the Stereo192 and love the sound of it! However, I bought it in the context of tuning/improving my existing system. This included moving to a CAPS v2 and external DAC. My prior configuration was more suited for theater with a Lexicon MC12b at its heart.

I've never been happy with my system sound for 2ch. My re-tuning education, a tough room (bright, non-symmetrical, non-dedicated, WAF) and speaker combo (essentially towers sitting on non-separable powered subs yielding a 2.2 setup) lead me to more study. After Get Better Sound and Toole's 600 page Sound Reproduction and hundred(s) of internet hours, I've concluded digital room correction is appropriate for me. (I personally think even with room treatment its appropriate for most people, but that's another topic). The more you look at it, the more DRC and digital speaker crossover/driver control begin to blur (become the same).

If I'm heading down the audiophile bastardization route of digital crossover/DRC control, I at least want to do it in the "purest" way possible. That means no processing after the DAC nor additional a/d d/a conversion. That translates to JRiver MC (or HQPlayer) audio with crossover/DRC processing from the CAPS v2 -> DAC -> (Pre)(Amp) Speakers. Because I am effectively 2.2, that means multi-ch high-end DAC.

If interested, the "pure" DRC/Xover discussion is in this thread:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Room-correction-Stereo-Surround

In addition, since I have surrounds, etc (currently unused), I might as well keep things configurable for multi-ch music/movie. Thus a 2nd reason for m-ch DAC

[i also have a office zone and prefer to feed from my main system vs a lesser setup. A third reason for m-ch DAC (DAC internal switching capability between zones and on CAPS push-of-a-button change to DRC filter for 2nd room)]

Because I need m-ch DAC, love the 2x192 and DSP is/will be a good thing, the above lead me to the 8x192.

2) WHAT I KNOW:

In my communication with Mytek, I am told:

"I think it's bit too early for 8x192 and DSD playback"

"Differences (between 2x192 and 8x192):

-there is no room in the internal processor for the dCs style DSD. ASIO DSD with USB card is excepted to work soon.

-Vol control is stereo only and its a physical switch, no remote control.

-The converters are very good but slightly different. St192 is slightly warmer in lower midrange, you'd need to hear both side by side"

And from Ted B

" ..the DAC chip is not a SABRE DAC chip, so any SQ comparison assumptions are impossible without hearing them both"

I will be following up with Mytek to clarify a few things...

EDIT: ADDITIONAL INFO FROM MYTEK:

The 8x192 existing Firewire setup will work as, it, as follows:

--show up in computer as 8 in/8 out sound device

--As such should work for multi-channel players, e.g. JRiver MC, HQPlayer (including if desired DRC)

-- Will NOT handle DSD (will do PMC)

-- Future USB driver SHOULD do DSD via AISO via USB not Firewire on PC but not MAC. This driver is/will be done by group now finishing similar driver for 2x192. Work perfecting 2x192 driver will go a long way to making USB 8x192 driver follow. Exact timing unknown for 8x192, as not many users for this at this time.

-- Existing firewire will NOT decode dts, so if want movies, etc, will need to run through computer player and then feed 8 channels mytek

--Sound character is excellent, but not identical to 2x192. Some mastering engineers have describes it as slightly less warm in mids and low end.

--Unit can receive s/pdif (from external devices (not dts)) inputs on its digital inputs.

--Output snake with balanced or RCA is available now.

-- Mytek is encouraged by the interest in the 8x192, but wants to be clear they are not directly marketing it for our type of use, so realize what the unit is and is not if buying. If sufficient interest develops, they may focus this unit on this market and/or create a next generation unit more similar to the 2x192, but multi-ch (different case, IR control, drivers, SABRA chip, etc, etc)

Thanks for the thread!

-Caleb

C.A.P.Sv2-Mytek Stereo192-Twisted Pair Audio Buffalo III M-ch-Sennheiser HD800-Beyerdynamic T1-Lexicon MC12b-Theta Dreadnought-Infinity Prelude MTS-Sonos-JRiver MC-12TB DataTale eSATA

I really don't see why Mytek needs to re-invent the wheel and release a second generation. They are so close already with the first generation. It's obviously capable. Why spend the development costs on cases/IR control/even sourcing a new DAC chip? The market may not justify it. QUAD is a subspeciality audiophile hobby. DSD QUAD is something even smaller again!! :)

So I say let's work with what we have got.

OK. So output we can sort out. But just were is that TASCAM pinout DB25->unbalanced RCA snake!!! ??

As for input? Well an RME card should definitely work. I didn't mention that this has an advantage of potential clocking and also connection via fibre. Very long fibre runs I might add...

But really, to do DSD, all we need is that ASIO driver. Or a multichannel Firewire driver. Both need to happen and be tested in any case before a "next generation 8x192" could work. So what is required is all on the software side. Not hardware.....what Mytek is talking about here, is all just icing on the cake. Who cares about cosmetics? It's the DSD playback and sound quality I am after.

Why spend the development costs on cases/IR control/even sourcing a new DAC chip?

Now I may sound lame, but I have working IR with the Apple's IR remote control and MacMini. Yeah, it's digital volume control, but works for DSD too. For analog 7.1 channel remote control, there are at least some pre-amps/controllers capable of this at different price categories, starting at 2k range.

Nice part with the Sabre is that ES9018 is 8-channel part and single piece of those would give performance close to current Stereo192-DSD-DAC. Of course 4x more analog stages would pump up the price a bit.

It would be interesting to know what DAC chip is used in 8x192.

Or a multichannel Firewire driver.

If it could work with the dCS packing scheme, I'm ready...

...for multichannel DRC processing in DSD, that's something that would keep even newest multi-core CPUs quite busy (let's see)...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

wappinghigh

I'm just clarifying to be sure my post above is clear (as I want to be careful not to misstate my communication with Mytek):

-- They did NOT say there would be a future generation 8x192, only that if there is considerable costumer interest, whey might consider making a more consumer oriented unit (as the current 2x192 is a bit more consumer oriented than their other units). This sounded to me more like a company keeping an eye on their customer base and being willing to try to deliver what customers would like. We all know they are primarily a Pro product maker and the 8x192 is very much oriented that way. They seem to appreciate that we early adopters/innovators see it for its ability to squeeze the last drops of quality out of audio, but are being clear that it is not a "consumer" product.

-- The Firewire driver IS multi-channel today. If you plug it in to your computer it is seen as 8x8 audio device (card) and we can map signals to it like any other device. The firewire limitation is it will not do DSD. The forthcoming AISO driver will do DSD but not for Mac. Thus, the current configuration suits my needs, as I can wait for DSD.

--The output snake with RCA ends: They have this. They told me they were now in email contact with you and you know this. Maybe the communications are still mixed up.

You may have understood all of this, i am just making sure.

Miska said "It would be interesting to know what DAC chip is used in 8x192"

I've requested that info from them and will post when/if I hear...

Thanks

-Caleb

Given what you've described on this and 2x192 thread, why haven't you returned the 8x192?

Multi-channel DSD audio from Mytek for audiophiles is not ready now or in the near future. Perhaps sometime in the future but not now and you cannot force the issue.

I say that you can get great multi-channel 24/192 audio with the LIO-8. And you can get great stereo DSD audio with the Mytek DSD Stereo DAC. And I have said you can get great multi-channel DSD and 24/192 audio with the Oppo BDP-95.

These are all great, proven, excellent and relatively affordable audiophile solutions. Yeah, it would be great if the LIO-8 did DSD64 and DSD128. It would be great if the Mytek DSD Stereo DAC were a multi-channel DAC. But the average audiophile has several good options for enjoying multi-channel and DSD music.

Furthermore, I feel that the sonic differences between multi-channel vs stereo far outweigh the differences between PCM, interfaces, cables or whatever what’s best audio option that is usually endlessly discussed and debated.

I will put my money on the music, speakers and room as being the most important things to consider. So just buy the best stereo and multi-channel music you can, play it from disc, rip it to the computer, convert DSD to 24/176.4 if you must and enjoy. I am with the LIO-8, a Korg MR-2000S (instead of a Mytek DSD Stereo DAC which I still might get) and the Oppo BDP-95. Sonic excellence, ready for prime time with no fuss or bother.

experience will be great, but 24/192 or 24/96 into 5.1 or 7.1 is really spectacular. There are options out there that make short term sense.

My reason for getting a 8x192 someday soon was going to be to help Mytek troubleshoot through the USB stuff, but realized early on that mch DSD was still a ways off. I may or may not pull the trigger (I have too much on my plate right now) but for "plug-n-play" you can't go wrong with AZ's recommendations. And furthermore, you can't be impatient with Mytek, especially if they are already stating it will be awhile...or you'll drive yourself nuts.

"I say that you can get great multi-channel 24/192 audio with the LIO-8.."

Do you love the LIO-8? It looks very interesting, but thus far not interesting enough to have to change computer platforms (no cut intended toward Mac). It amazes me that they don't have a windows driver. I would think that significantly cuts into their market.

The other seemingly nice m-ch DAC is the Orpheus FireWire, but getting higher in $.

Are there other good competing m-ch DACs at reasonable prices?

Based on my limited knowledge, I describe these as good examples of more "user friendly" / "consumer" pro gear. If mytek were to do a product update these would be two good examples of the competition. What Mytek SHOULD have on their side is DSD and sound quality (Note I am saying that without having heard any of the 3 ;-)

-Caleb

gee whiz, I crossed 100 posts...only problem is everyone else on this thread has 500-2000....

EDIT 2,213

EDIT 2,305

Glad to know experience is talking!

-Caleb

Geez guys, why have 1/ A stereo DSD DAC, 2/ Another multichannel PCM DAC like the MH, AND a 3/ Oppo all connected up to your gear, when clearly the 8x192 is capable of being all three in one! Nobody is trying to force the issue. Just remember another 5K spend will get this DAC playing multichannel DSD from a computer using the Pyramix DAW. If one was to go the full hog and get this, you would also have a DAW, MIDI input and everything else to boot.

But if somebody doesn't take the plunge, and try and move this product down a more consumer orientated route, nothing will happen. Particularly QUAD. This is a notoriously unloved subsegment of a subsegment of music we have here. What audiophile manufacturer has ever stuck their neck out and really committed to QUAD?

What we have with the Mytek is a sub 4K option that can make all this happen with the one DAC. Just with some software luv. We have the music tracks coming, and we have the gear to connect it because we know what to do with a DSD capable SACD player.

It shouldn't be rocket science what needs to be achieved here. Please no lectures thanks about "you could do this", or "do that". Don't you think I realise that? The point is if a consumer like me doesn't put his/her toe in the water nothing would happen. The DAC would sit in the proaudio sphere for another 5 years..

If consumers do nothing, the proaudio mob will just sit there and keep churning out SACD's....

We have seen what happens when a more consumer friendly DSD stereo DAC is "discovered" by music lovers. All of a sudden labels start releasing DSD tracks for purchase online.

Now I'm the first to acknowledge I don't have a clue on the software side. So I might be prepared to take a risk and lend out the DAC to help this along a bit. But by geez...don't double cross me :)

I say "might" because who knows the DSD driver could be sorted real soon and I'd be happy just getting started with stereo.

Lets face it, the problem here is communication. It would be nice for a start if Mytek answers their emails. Of course I have emailed Michal directly! I did this over a week back, on the stereo thread in direct response to his posts. I even told him on the thread! It would also be great if Mytek could release a realistic time frame for software development. Be straight down the line with customers. I'm not being critical here, I'm just saying that to move things forward they need to pay more attention to this. Perhaps release developments and time frames and a "how do I" on a facebook or the website or something. That goes for the Stereo DAC as well I might add.

So Michal, or anyone else from Mytek, or the forums who visits this thread. You can PM me and I assure you I'll be right back with my email contact.

Lets start with just how I get that multi channel RCA cable, and please, some genuine answers on how long it will take for a working USB card for stereo DSD.

Cheers

For eveyone's info, here is a copy on an initial enquiry I send way back in Oct 2011. Via email to [email protected]

Michal. I'm actually interested in using your 8x192 DAC for audiophile playback under OSX.

Michal, is the Mytek 8x192 DAC with usb card essentially the same (for stereo playback) as this Stereo 192 DAC?

1/ does it use exactly the same OSX drivers?

2/ Is it asynch USB?

3/ Will it run under Pure Music in the same way as the Mytek Stereo 192?

4/ Can you use this 8 channel version without a DAW?

5/ Are there any benefits of the firewire over the usb card?

I never got a response.

So in "frustration" I just went out and bought the DAC anyway!!

Sure calling is possible, but you guys have to realise in a global world with opposite time zones email is way more convenient and less likely to be an inconvenience. :)

Thanks.