IGNORED

Another label starts selling DSD downloads ...

Thanks to a post in another forum

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/showthread.php/36026-SACD-DFF-file-extraction-backups?p=669711&viewfull=1#post669711

I was made aware of this label:

http://www.cybele.de/

also offering DSD downloads of his records.

And for very competive prices!

There also are 5.0/5.1 downloads available, or you could chosse different options to get your music (FLAC for instance).

I do have a sampler of the label on SACD somewhere, which I plan to analyze, because I'm not shure on about how these records are beeing made ("real DSD, PCM ... ).

And I will send a message to the label and ask for some details ...

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

I have got a very fast and detailed reply to my email-query sent to Cybele Records, in which they state that their DSD downloads are sourced from real DSD recordings.

They will update the website ASAP with more details about the hardware used for the recordings.

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Here:

http://www.cybele.de/geraete-software-download/

(scroll down)

you can get some demo files for testing purposes.

Even in DSD 5.0/5.1 for Miska ;-)

qualities:

1) they label each album with the DSD logo if the music is a pure DSD recording.

2) they offer both 2.0 and 5.0/5.1 DSD offerings

3) they price the whole DSD download at or below their reasonable SACD price

4) you can buy individual tracks in DSD for a few dollars (depending on size).

5) NEVER SAW THIS BEFORE: you can listen to samples in mp3, but also listen to samples in the format of your downlaod choice, INCLUDING DSD! ? (Not sure how this is done, probably foobar plugin??)

cybeledsdsample.jpg

The label seems quite eclectic, so these are not always your "fathers classical music". :)

Hi Ted_b,

yes, you're right. You may listen to EVERY DSD track of our whole catalogue (which is completely available as DSD downloads) in pure DSD quality for 20 seconds.

You can either playback the samples by using foobar2000 or any other software / hardware which is able to playback native DSD files.

For example the www.playbackdesigns.com DAC can do. It is able to playback native DSD files up to 5.1 channel surround sound.

So nobody has to wait any more for native 5.1 DSD file playback hardware.

I write this because I just read a post here in the forum which said that everybody would wait for such hardware playback possibilities... :)

So it's only a question of your selected hardware / software to which you assign(ed) our ".dff" file samples.....

Have fun listening to them and maybe you'll distribute these news to everybody who might be interested in these innovative features on our site.

All the best, have a nice day

Ingo

that you mention it? Wouldn't any DSD-capable DAC be able to play your stereo files? I have 2 inhouse, the Mytek and a higher-end (non-disclosed due to beta testing DSD firmware) one that both easily play native DIFF or DSF. And the PD is stereo, so playing back 5.1 would require a stack of 3X daisy chained PD's of course. Or an EMM DAC8, etc.

Hi ted_b,

I just replied to your question "(Not sure how this is done, probably foobar plugin??)" in the last post because it seemed to me that it was not clear how the playback of our dff samples works.

As I already mentioned - of course our dsd files are ScarletBook .dff files which are all compliant with any DSD hardware / software.

I think our misunderstanding is that I wanted to explain that www.playbackdesigns.com is able to playback 5.1 ch files as well in native DSD (and not only DSD stereo files), as far as I know - which is quite innovative on the market, I think.

Happy listening :)

Ingo

Ingo stated:

or any other software / hardware which is able to playback native DSD files. For example the www.playbackdesigns.com

Nowhere in this statement do I infer that Ingo claims the Playback design is unique, since it is given as an example only, with the additional qualifier that the files will work with any native DSD hardware.

In my view you have either mis-read or mis-interpreted Ingo's reply.

My point is that unless you have THREE Playback Design DACs you can't play 5.1 surround DSD with one. Similar to what Ray Kimber does at RMAF/CES with EMM, etc (they are likely less cables with PD but the point was 3 $15k DACs are stacked). It sounded like his first response was saying a PD "DAC" (singular) was able to play back a 5.1 file, which is not true (unless folded down to stereo). If I told you my pair of Modwright monoblocks can amplify a 5.1 signal you'd say..."yeah, with 2 more pairs"!!

This is a great development and very encouraging.

Btw, I saw Playback designs do multi-channel DSD in Denver last year with the new Pink Floyd SACD.

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/rmaf2011/rmaf2011_pink_floyd.htm

Whether it's unique or not; who cares.

Why can't these DSD files be made available in .DSF instead of .DFF which allows for more robust metadata?

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX

(Mytek did the same on Saturday in the same demo, for whatever reason as backup with Pyramix).

Yes, this website is very very cool. Ingo, a question: since I can't understand German (it is German, right?) I see that some SACD's have bonus discs with mostly discussion about the works. Can you offer DSD-music only packages for us language-restricted goof balls. By that I mean rather than buying track by track (which adds up to sometimes more than the package). Thx

Hi ted_b,

as these DSD and FLAC downloads are (and will be) always a precise 1:1 copy of the existing SACD releases we could only offer to all english speaking people to give them a 5 Euro shopping voucher code if they ordered such a 3SACD set in case it contains more than 50% German spoken voice parts.

In case you want to buy such an 3SACD set first create an account @ www.cybele.de, order the desired album and inform us about your language by replying to the order/invoice Email which you will receive after having successfully created your account / after having placed your order...

Then we will be able to create this 5 Euro shopping voucher for you :)

Cheers

Ingo

The English language pulldown (which I use to simply peruse your website) I gotta assume has nothing to do with DSD files that I would download for several $$ that are all German speaking discussions of the music (you call them 'artists in conversation"). These additional DSD files (2 whole SACD's worth) are of no value to me, unfortunately, so I guess I throw them away as I buy the entire DSD download at 22 euros. It beats having to buy the music-only DSD files from SACD1 one at a time, which adds up to like 50+ euros. Do you get what I mean?? I'm not talking about physical SACD discs, i;m talking about downloading a set of DSD files, where a majority of them are German-speaking discussions. Maybe I stumbled upon a unique (innovative) problem, and that the majority of your selections are music-only. Don't know. I found this album since track 21 is the DSD free download (i.e a non-music German language discussion of no value to me, other than proving I could download a DSD file).

Hi ted_b,

thanx for replying to my post.

Obviously this is a misunderstanding.

Both "DSD 1bit 2.8224MHz Stereo" and "FLAC 16bit 44.1kHz Stereo" / "FLAC 24bit 96kHz Stereo" versions contain the COMPLETE SET OF ALL 3 SACD discs (we will update the display of the Complete Album section for this album during the next hour).

http://www.cybele.de/hans-werner-henze-und-das-requiem

So 22 Euro is quite cheap, I think - even if you don't need part 2 and part 3 (to be inside the complete download).

And you don't need to pay 50 Euro (I don't understand how you calculated these 50 Euros) because for 22 Euro you'll get all three discs included.

And if you are a customer outside Germany and outside Europe you'll get every album 19% cheaper because outside Europe we will not charge any VAT to customers.

So 22 Euro minus 19% VAT = 19,24 Euro for 3SACD set (as DSD downloads) is a good deal, isn't it?

Regards

Ingo