IGNORED

Foobar SACD Plugin > Mytek Stereo 192-DSD DAC

With the v.0.5.0 plugin and v1.38b firmware installed, Foobar will play a DSD64 file downloaded from Blue Coast Records. What puzzles me is why the the foo_dsd_asio.dll fails to load in Foobar? Therefore how can DSD Playback Method be set to ASIO Native? I also notice that Foobar sees the DSD64 file playing at 5645kbps/44100Hz.

All of this through the Mytek firewire setting......

Thanks.

eman24 > If you read my instructions carefully, the USBPAL control panel was what I was referring to and not the Firewire interface. From what I gathered from the various post in this forum, Firewire ASIO does not support Native DSD at the moment. And if you follow the installation procedures found in the SACD v0.5.0 plugin sequentially, you will be able to select the method accordingly.

I think the author is currently working on it as we speak. I did highlight to him the potential difficulties a novice to the program may face when they first dive into the manual process of .dll library registration in Windows.

Anyway, have you finally manage to get things up and running? How is the ASIO Native streaming? Are you getting static noises with the music as well? At least the DSD-PCM switching is pretty seamless. If Michal is able to tweak the driver to allow proper bit-ordering of DSD stream, Max is suggesting the problem could be fixed and we can finally have Native DSD (not DSD-on-PCM) send over ASIO to the Mytek.

With the ASIO Driver Mode set to PCM and the Sample Rate set to 176400Hz, I'm able to play DSD64 files. I'm not hearing any static. In this mode it doesn't appear to make any difference what Sample Rate the USBPAL is set to.

When I set the Driver Mode to DSD, I hear nothing. I'm assuming this will be the case until the foo_dsd_asio.dll is registered manually?

I'm a bit confused with how Foobar sees the Mytek drivers. That is, DS (Direct Stream)and not ASIO. Causes you to wonder whether it's ASIO, or not.

Thanks for the help.

Think of foo_dsd_asio as a "wrapper" for the actual Mytek USB ASIO Driver. Firstly you will need to register the foo_dsd_asio.dll using regsvr32 command where the files are copied to (not in the components folder). i.e. regsvr32 foo_dsd_asio.dll / regsvr32 foo_dsd_asio_x64.dll

Subsequently, you will need to go to the ASIO setup page and configure foo_dsd_asio by double-clicking on in in the list of available ASIO drivers. There, you will have the option of selecting the MYTEK USBPAL ASIO driver and the ASIO Playback Method (which is ASIO Native). Lastly, go to the control panel of USBPAL to set sampling frequency to 44.1khz.

Please do not select the PCM option in the SACD setup page as this will instruct the plugin to transcode the DSD signals into PCM.

Your Mytek front panel will display "dSd" if DSD signals are natively decoded in the DAC.

This is where knowledge fails me. Using the CMD prompt, I select cd ..>C:>...C:>regsvr32 foo_dsd_asio.dll..>enter....This is followed by LoadLibrary("foo_dsd_asio.dll") failed-The specified module could not be found.

How do you register the .dll to the appropriate location?

For instance, would it be something like this?

REGSVR32 "C:Program Filesfoobar2000foo_dsd_asio.dll"

eman24, I had some initial trouble with this as well (and curiously, the process was a little different in Win7 vs. XP), but I think I can help you out.

First thing, if you're on Win7, you have to run cmd as Administrator. Click on the Windows icon, in the search programs box, type "cmd" but don't hit enter. When the program appears in the search results list, right-click on it and select "Run as Administrator." This should take you to c:Windowssystem32

Now, you have to navigate to the folder where you put the foo_dsd_asio.dll files (it doesn't work in Win7 to have regsvr32 point to another directory, as in your example). Max suggests copying the DLLs to the root foobar2000 folder, not the components folder. Do that, then use the cd command to get there. "cd.." will take you up a level in the directory, so enter that twice until you're at c: Then use "cd Program Files (x86)" then "cd foobar2000" and you should be at the appropriate folder. Then simply type "regsvr32 foo_dsd_asio.dll" and push enter and you should have success! Do the same for the _x64 version if you use them.

Then do as already suggested...select DSD in the SACD preferences panel, select "foo_dsd_asio" in the output panel, double-click "foo_dsd_asio" in the ASIO panel and select the appropriate Mytek driver (USB or Dice) along with "DCS Marker 0xAA" You should now be able to stream DSD to the Mytek.

Good luck, let us know if you have trouble.

After a lot of fooling around, I managed to get the foo_dsd_asio.dll registered successfully in WinXP. DSD is selected. The driver selected is ASIO: Mytek STEREO192-DSD DAC ASIO. DSD64 file plays, but no sound? I didn't see anything regarding "DCS Marker 0xAA" ?

Thank you.

Under Preferences>Playback>Output: select "foo_dsd_asio"

In the "ASIO" submenu (under "Output"), double-click "foo_dsd_asio" and you should get a dialog window with "ASIO Driver" and "DSD Playback Method" options (the dialog window may not come to the foreground--look for it in your taskbar). Select which driver you want ("Mytek STEREO192-DSD DAC ASIO" or "MytekDiceDrv") and for "DSD Playback Method" select "dCS Marker 0xAA"

Then you should be good to go. Maybe try re-powering the DAC and restarting foobar if it's still not happening. Also, if for some reason the DSD Playback dialog window doesn't appear when you double-click "foo_dsd_asio" I had that happen early on (I think I had accidentally selected "ASIO Native" instead of dCS the first time I opened it). I couldn't get the dialog window to reappear until I went into the registry, found that setting and manually changed it, so try not to make the same mistake I did.

In the ASIO Virtual Device Editor, the only option available for configuration of "foo_dsd_asio" is driver selection. Nothing for "DSD Playback Method".

In other words no option to select "ASIO Native" or dCS?

Tried re-powering the DAC, etc....No luck.

Think I'll take a break. ;)

Not sure what "ASIO Virtual Device Editor" is. I don't see anything labeled as such in my setup. Do you have the latest of everything, foobar (v1.1.11), ASIO component (2.1.1), input_SACD component (0.5.0)? Under Preferences>Tools>SACD is ASIO Driver Mode set to DSD?

Voila! It's working. Even though I had updated to the latest foobar version a while ago, the ASIO component was an earlier version. That is why I was seeing the "ASIO Virtual Device Editor" as a configuration tool.

Sounds great (DSD64 5645kbps/2822400Hz).

Thank you!

Today I used some spare time to get this ASIO-DSD thingy tested with my setup, ... and it realy works.

There still are some quirks which need fixing IMHO, but to see 'DSD' displayed on the Mytek whilst using Foobar and ASIO is ... cool ;-)

I used Foobar 1.0.9, the latest Foobar ASIO build, the last/latest RigiSystems driver package (1.32.3) and the Beta firmware (1.3.8).

I had almost given up on getting DSD smoothly integrated into Foobar, but I'm now a bit more relaxed, seeing some light at the end of the tunnel ...

I will try some more DSD files today, and report back if there will be hickups.

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

I am glad to report that the latest v1.4.2 of the firmware has finally made USB ASIO DSD a reality for users of Foobar2000 w/ SACD plugin v0.5.0. We no longer need to rely on the stop-gap method of encoding DSD into PCM to get things to work. I would think that this is as raw a DSD stream as you can get to allow the Mytek to decode natively with the added support for DSD128 (which I haven't test out yet for lack of material).

There is still a small issue that requires rectification to really make this firmware complete for our usage - which is the switch from a PCM track to a DSD one at all sample rates except 44.1kHz which is fine. Loud popping noises will occur whenever such a switch from PCM to DSD is made. The switch from DSD to PCM is seamless though. Let's hope Michal is aware of this issue to resolve it.

Meanwhile, let's enjoy the music and thank Max and Michal for the on-going hardworking to get the DSD ship sailing smoothly.

valenroy,

I haven't installed the latest firmware yet, but in my system foobar will switch from a PCM track at any sample rate to DSD64 without any noise. The Mytek DAC display accordingly switches from PCM to DSD.

Foobar output set at ASIO:foo_dsd_asio

SACD switch in DSD Mode

I, too, would like to thank everyone involved in this project.

eman24> I believe your ASIO Playback Mode is still in 0xAA Mode (old dCS packing scheme with 0xAA markers), which is the method whereby DSD is encoded into a PCM stream before being sent over to the Mytek for decoding. We have been using this mode because the Native DSD mode was not supported properly in the Mytek firmwares prior to 1.4.2b. In this instance, the PCM-DSD switching is fine.

With this new revision, Native (Raw) DSD (not PCM encoded) signals can be sent directly to the Mytek for decoding without any pre-processing. This is the topic of discussion for my previous post actually. This method should only be attempted when you have the v1.4.2b firmware installed.

valenroy,

After upgrading firmware, I hear "loud popping noises" switching from DSD to PCM. However, I also hear a quieter static sounding pop switching from DSD to PCM?

Foobar output set at ASIO:foo_dsd_asio

DSD Playback Method in ASIO Native

Hmmm... seems like what Harald has reported over in the other thread is consistent with my findings as well, except that I want to highlight the issue of reversed channels on this firmware version. Wasn't paying attention to this as I was testing a lot of new ISOs and ain't familiar with the material. For peeps who were fine on v1.3.8b, kindly revert to that firmware, at least the 0xAA playback mode is still functional.

This is slightly off topic but it will be useful to people visiting the forum. I have had trouble to let foobar (1.1.11) with foo_input_dsdiff and foo_sacd components stream at the preferable 176.4 khz. It always automatically streams at 192 with either dff or iso. But when I play them directly in foobar, both formats can be configured to play at 176.4 without any trouble.

By pure accident, I found an easy work-around that allow me to force foobar to STREAM dff files at 176.4 All you need to do is to include a semicolon in the dff file name (not in metadata). It worked like charm. But the method does not work with iso files. Any suggestions?

This is not for DSD direct streaming, but DSD>PCM.

Hi!

I think you talk about DSD to PCM conversion, and not streaming DSD data to a DAC?

If so, I would suggest to only use the foo_input_sacd.dll, and delete the foo_input_dsdiff.dll from the components folder.

With the foo_input_sacd.dll installed, you can set/select the prefered PCM output resolution under "Prefereences/Tools/SACD".

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II