IGNORED

SOTM SMS 1000 Music Server

kmund

We did have an interesting conversation with SotM earlier today: we previously suggested that SoTM release an ATX version of their SATA products: a PicoPSU-like 24-pin plug in that filters incoming DC from those typically awful PC PSUs . . . could surely be a big seller?

Not going to happen.

Apparently, they intend to concentrate more on emebedding such technology in their servers than in making them available to the DIY community - which would be a shame, yet it makes the SMS1000 slightly more interesting.

If it performs like a poor man's Aurender, it could find an audience, but it seems we can't turn away for more than ten minutes without some such digital transport coming onto the market: I can't see them all surviving unless they are much more strongly differentiated - Aune, Auraliti, Bryston, Yamaha, W4S, SoTM, Sonore - among others - are we all going to be competitive with - or even exist alongside - the more established Olive, Logitech and Sonos offerings in three years time? Who knows.

I don't doubt that the first review of the SoTM Server will crop up here or hereabouts first. We're all ears....

"I don't doubt that the first review of the SoTM Server will crop up here or hereabouts first."

I have serial number 2 here right now :~)

"... it seems we can't turn away for more than ten minutes without some such digital transport coming onto the market: I can't see them all surviving unless they are much more strongly differentiated"

I've thought about that as well, but I'm not sure how it will play out. There certainly are thousands of CD players available from nearly every manufacturer. I think music servers may follow the path of the CD player in that every manufacturer will offer a server or two or three as part of the product line-up.

Differentiation will no doubt come from the support offered by the manufacturer or dealer in addition to product differentiation. Supporting other high fi products is nothing like supporting a music server as you know.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Chris-

It looks like it costs from $2500-$3000 depending on model.

It sounds like it is running Vortexbox - is this true?

The USB model is the least expensive.

In any case, in terms of SQ, what is SoTM offering in this server that you don't get in a computer equipped similarly to a CAPS2 - silent, SoTM HD filters, and USB PCI card.

The new SoTM DAC also looks interesting...are you getting one of those to try also?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

OK great. I'm glad to know that Chris has one in his possession and is undoubtedly going to run it through its paces. It will be of great interest to hear his impressions of this unit. Thank you Chris for everything that you do for all of us and our hobby!

The SoTM units on the HD and USB card should make the sound noticeably better than a standard VB computer. Ditto the specialized PS setup.

But I'm a bit skeptical it will sound better than a CAPS2. Looking forward to Chris' review.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

Have them compare it to their much more expensive solution from endpcnoise.com, which I think costs about $4000.

• 2 weeks later...

Well done, I'm impressed that you're so on the ball Chris!!

I'm interested due to the Vortexbox software being compatible with Squeezebox, so I'm hoping this player may be a USB input enabled replacement for my Transporter. (I'd use the AES 1000d version for my NAD M2)

I've been very tempted by the Bryston BDP-1, in particular the reviewers comments regarding the sound quality. I'm rather hoping these guys have nailed it too, bringing equally excellent sound quality with vastly improved connectivity.

Now seems to be a terrible time to make decisions with new stuff arriving every day it seems. Also on my shortlist are the Weiss MAN301 and the NAD M50.

If you could add those two to your inbox Chris that would be most appreciated - or if you're struggling for time you're welcome to send the units over here and I'll do the listening for you... ;)

PS The manual is here http://www.sonore.us/SOtM-sMS-1000-manual.pdf (just in case you can't find a spotty teenager to explain it all for you...)

Various >i2s> NAD M2 > Quad 2905s