IGNORED

Contemplating speaker replacement

Your DCM's were a classic. I hope the vinyl is great. It drives me crazy having to deal with it, but in some respects it is still the most musical. The industry is going nuts trying to figure the format thing out. They went crazy for SACDand DVD Audio, the high rez solutions, then watch this low quality, high convenience format called MP3 take over. To add salt in the wound, LP's out sold SACD and DVA Audio combined for the last couple of years.

Some of my most enjoyable listening is when my expectations are lowest. When you are around this stuff all day you can fall into the trap that we call listening with the wrong side of the brain.

Audio Research DAC8, Mac mini w/8g ram, SSD, Amarra full version, Audio Research REF 5SE Preamp, Sutherland Phd, Ayre V-5, Vandersteen 5A\'s, Audioquest Wild and Redwood cabling, VPI Classic 3 w/Dynavector XX2MkII

Unfortunately your comment about the salesmen can be very true. There are stores that can make it a pleasure and not try to tell you what you should like. We try to be that way although I am sure we don't always succeed. Hey, I'm in Kansas - where is your tree house?

Audio Research DAC8, Mac mini w/8g ram, SSD, Amarra full version, Audio Research REF 5SE Preamp, Sutherland Phd, Ayre V-5, Vandersteen 5A\'s, Audioquest Wild and Redwood cabling, VPI Classic 3 w/Dynavector XX2MkII

LC, I didn't have tree house, but I scrimped and saved to get that 'independent sound' that the transistor radio provided in the 60's. AM radio in it's heyday; experimenting with all the new sounds (and old) that were hitting the 'waves'. God, that was a great time. Then the FM 'underground' movement took over. I was happy about that too. I hope that this generation will get to see such change in what is broadcast to them. VIA Radio. NOT pay-per-listen subscription stuff. "IT" always was and always should be free. HELL, anyway it comes, I hope this generation gets to "FEEL" a change in the status quo.

markr

"

I grew up in Salina, Kansas. My father was a doctor, and we had a big brick house east of downtown, on a street called Mt. Barbara. The tree house was up at the edge of the back yard, overlooking a broad valley. It was a nice place to hang out, and I added to it over the years we lived there.

That's also where I started getting into sound. We had a Voice of Music monophonic tape recorder that sort of became mine. A friend and I would gather anything we could find that would make interesting noise and make "music." It all stimulated an interest in recording that I still have.

Over the years I got better equipment but had less fun. Eventually I bagged all the high-priced pursuit of perfection and started spending more money for music than for hardware. This really took off when the CD era started, for me the summer of 1985 when I just about bankrupted myself. All I had was a Kenwood CD player that had been on sale, and a pair of headphones. I didn't pick up an amp and speakers until a couple of years later. The amp was a demo Proton, and the speakers were from Cambridge Soundworks as I've always been a Kloss fan.

I heard Time Windows sometime in there and liked them. I have no idea how they'd compare to more modern designs, but then the job is pretty simple so I wouldn't expect a revolution. But that's what I said about DACs, too.

The current speaker set-up works pretty well for listening when I'm doing something else. For really listening, I use the bedroom system. Put on the headphones, lie down and float away on the music, with my whole library available.

I'm not sure how much this added to the topic here, but I'm the OP on this one so I can go off-topic if I want. :)

Since you're off topic, my only time spent in Salina was in my old life when I installed a phone system at the Western Auto distribution center there. Not one of the more fun weeks in my life. They do have Chad's music stuff there, which has always been interesting for a town that size.

Hey Mark this seems to be played out so I don't feel to bad about hijacking it. We talked about Musician's Friend; what do you play? As I mentioned I am a wannabe Jimmy Bruno jazz guitarist but the combination of limited talent, arthritis and recent surgery for dupuytrens syndrome has sort of taken the fun out of it. They more or less took my little finger on the left (fretting) hand apart and put it back together. I don't think it will ever be the same, but it's not like the world is losing a great player. It has been six months and some of the nerve damage is improving and I am getting some feeling back so maybe it will be OK. Anyway, just curious as to what you play.

I am not terribly good but I love it. To add insult to injury, my little brother is a prodigy and was invited to and played at the Montreux Jazz Festival when he was 21.

Being a mature individual, I quit playing for twenty years.

Best wishes

Rick

There is nothing that I love better though.

I still do percussion, but I am continually looking for a way of doing that, that makes me happy at this point. I have recently acquired most of what it would take to put my drum set back together. I played the kit in various rock and R&B bands for years. That was 20+ years ago for me too. I tried guitar and other things 'string' at an early age, but could never seem to 'get it'. - does the word "grok" register with you? - I played Bass horn ( fittingly enough ) in middle and high school. I was in choir at church from preschool and then IN school up until the 7th grade, when my voice mutated to what it is now. I can still sing a lick or two, given the proper arrangement, but my range went to hell with physical maturity. What has always seemed to work for me is the keyboard. My experiences in early youth with the piano and classes at college confirmed my preference - keyboard-. I still play a great 'air guitar' though. My playing sensibilities and abilities (no time for serious practice) seem to keep classifying me as a rhythm section player though: bass/key/horn and other variants of that end of things musical. It matches my percussion abilities. If arthritis weren't a factor, I'd describe myself as having a chance at being a pretty good player. I like all good music though.

Lately, besides helping others find ways to document what they 'hear', I find myself trying to write songs via the means that have evolved with computers. Loop-based stuff - that helps me keep going. I am really enjoying the capabilities that the Logic and Reason programs are affording me at this point! I wish I were 16 years old again though...... Being 54 and a half years old now, I still want to be a musician when I 'grow up'. 8^) - as far as musical style preferences go, when folks ask, I always say that the type of music that I like is "good". No kidding intended there.

markr

Thanks for asking - Music IS life -

PS: I see that the Palladiums are out now. I am definitely going to go 'see' them as soon as I can - heretical though they may be - I'm glad that I have LaScala's though, because the price tag for the Palladiums is well beyond what I would be able to pay, holding to prudent fiscal policy anyway.......

Yeah, they are certainly striking. I'm not sure about the technology. Obviously not horn loaded woofers but it looks like the upper frequencies aren't compression drivers, but dome drivers that are horn loaded. Kind of hard to tell.

I definitely grok grok. Apparently we are within a month or two of being the same age.

I'm still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. My wife suggests there is an assumption in that statement that makes it a moot point.

is RIGHT. .....but didn't you say somewhere here that you were 'on your own' again?

*big smile*

'Stranger'

(I could never figure out a way to keep a lady in my life...... I will keep trying, but THAT is getting close to being 'moot' now. ......Maybe not....)

Living separate but still married. She calls it a "time out"