IGNORED

Speaker placement formula?

in this isosceles triangle (two equal sides, the distances from you to either speaker). So use 1.34 as your multiplier (1.34 times the distance between the center of the drivers, is the distance from you to each driver). If the speakers were at, say, 30 degrees, you'd be forming a perfect isosceles triangle and your distance from each speaker would be identical to the distance between them.

The ITU setup for 5.1 or 7.1 is, for the mains, 30 degrees....a bit more nearfield than your setup. Not a big deal, but yours makes it more difficult to keep the surrounds at the similar distances.

at 22 degrees? If your mains were, say, 30 you'd be closer to them, and thus making the distance to your surrounds (vs to your mains) less of an inequality. I'm confused.

Draw or describe a picture of your room (very basic) and put squares where you want mains and surrounds, and a circle where you sit. Also, are you gonna use a center channel (important to note, cuz closer spaced mains could hurt a center, but benefit you if you have no center)? All i was trying to say is that if you sit closer to the fronts, you ipsofacto have them further apart than 22 degrees. And by sitting closer to your fronts means you have less of a dramatic delta of your front distance vs your surround distance....but this is only really an issue without good delay capabilities (as you've stated).

The other concern of yours is literally the spacing of the surrounds vs the fronts (i.e the distance the sound pans to get from front to rear). If you can only get your surrounds to say, 100 degrees, then having your mains at 30 degrees is only a 70 degree pan from front to rear.....I understand your tradeoffs. Let's look at them.

and then only make concessions if it doesn't destroy the 2 channel soundstage. Applying a center delay (actually a delay everywhere else to make the center catch up) is no big deal in my priority list, but if you have a delay scheme (like the Oppos prior to July 11 firmware) that says the furthest speaker must be the mains then my idea is not useable, for the center won't be in spec.