IGNORED

Low cost DAC preferrably FW 800 suggestions

Hi, I'm new here and was wondering what the lowest cost yet still decent DAC would be?

I've seen stuff from M-Audio and would like some input on them especially.

I'd like to be able to record and play up to 192khz (optional) as I'm getting in professional sound recording.

I was reading that USB can't handle 192khz but FW can, I do have a cable that will convert the FW400 to FW800 as that's all my Mac has.

I have the MBP and it has the 24bit line in, but the inner-workings of it make a lot of noise in the recordings.

I really can't afford anything over $200 as I'm 18 and a college student that's self-employed, so please give me your ideas!

Thanks,

Colden

I\'m 18 and I\'ve started my own computer repair business, Spyderworks Unlimited, and now I want to get into professional audio recording locally.[br]Unibody MBP: 2.4ghz C2D, 2gb, 250gb, 15\".[br]Homebrew: E8400 3.0ghz, 4gb, 320gb, EVGA 8800gts.

The only firewire unit I am aware of that is FW 800 is made by RME is way out of the budget mentioned

Look at TC Electronics Konnekt 8 at about $300 will do 96khz, I own one sounds great but drivers a little finicky especially with Mac; supposedly solved; I would try it first.

M-Audio FW 610 about $340 will do 192khz and has more features; later design supposedly has no mac problems

PC running XP pro, C Play, TC Electonic Konnect 8 Firewire to Spdif, 2 Lyngdorf 2200TDAi amplifiers, Synergy Acoustics crossoverless monitors driven actively by the 2200TDAi\'s, custom subwoofers driven by a Lyngdorf SDA2175

Thanks for the suggestions! After looking at the Konnekt 8 I see that it DOES support 192khz.

Also, the price has dropped to $259 so that's more doable.

Thanks a bunch!

I\'m 18 and I\'ve started my own computer repair business, Spyderworks Unlimited, and now I want to get into professional audio recording locally.[br]Unibody MBP: 2.4ghz C2D, 2gb, 250gb, 15\".[br]Homebrew: E8400 3.0ghz, 4gb, 320gb, EVGA 8800gts.