IGNORED

ARC DAC8 improved performance

I you just think I am sticking my nose in then I apologise in advance.

You paid a lot of money for your DAC 8 so get the best out of it. Do what Priaptor says.

You don't initially need a CAPS2. Just go and buy a regular Windows 7 laptop, install JRiver 17 on its thirty day free trial, set it up exactly as Chris's guide here (Wasapi and all that stuff), which is much easier than many who have not tried it seem to think, and just listen.

If you are encouraged, go ahead and build a CAPS2. If you are not encouraged, you still have a Windows laptop which you can find some other use for. Compared to the price of your DAC 8, and (presumably) other equipment of the same quality, it will have cost you next to nothing.

a Macbook, let just load Bootcamp. That is what I did to start my comparisons.

The difference was huge between Mac based players v. JRiver on the DAC8. My reference was a PS Audio PWT via XLR and CAPS 2.0 was the icing on the cake.

So I agree with you. Especially since he has a MacPro, no problem rebooting from one to the other to compare drivers.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Rick, ilke your self I feel I'm not current with my DAC 8, Mac Mini and PM but I like Mac and I'm comfortable with iTunes and Pure Music. I'm not yet ready to jump ship and move to Windows and Jriver until I first buy / try a USB to SPDIF-ABU converter and see how it will improve my front end.

I'm ordering a Alpha USB this week.

Dave

TP-LInk 1200 WiFi router>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Synergistic Research Switch>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Innuos Pulsar> Sablon EVO USB cable>Innuos Phoenix>Sablon EVO USB cable>T+A DAC 2000 >Enleum AMP-23r>Audience SX speaker cables>Raidho X1t or HiFiMan HE-1000se headphones. Synergistic Research Atmosphere Excite powers cords>Puritan Audio 156 pwr conditioner.

I've done that but it's been a while. It didn't make sense for me at the time. Let me know what you use and what you perceive, please.

Thanks

Rick

Audio Research DAC8, Mac mini w/8g ram, SSD, Amarra full version, Audio Research REF 5SE Preamp, Sutherland Phd, Ayre V-5, Vandersteen 5A\'s, Audioquest Wild and Redwood cabling, VPI Classic 3 w/Dynavector XX2MkII

My thoughts exactly, the Alpha USB is simple to install and if I'm not knocked out I can sell it easily. If there is an improvement I'll be happy and speaking for myself, selling off my Mac and buying a PC, Caps2 and learning a new OS is way too much hassle. The plan B is try a Linn Akurate DSM which would also be relatively easy to introduce into my system. I have way too many hobbies and a shortage of time.

TP-LInk 1200 WiFi router>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Synergistic Research Switch>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Innuos Pulsar> Sablon EVO USB cable>Innuos Phoenix>Sablon EVO USB cable>T+A DAC 2000 >Enleum AMP-23r>Audience SX speaker cables>Raidho X1t or HiFiMan HE-1000se headphones. Synergistic Research Atmosphere Excite powers cords>Puritan Audio 156 pwr conditioner.

my complaints about the DAC 8 which I have been very vocal about to Audio Research. From my perspective, it is quite clear that people are getting better results from converters with Mac based systems and for sure I am getting better results with CAPS 2 compared to Mac and Mac/Wavelink.

I think ARC needs to deal with this prior to bringing out their "REF DAC" as their announcement indicated the USB integration was based on DAC 8 board. I really hope they address these seemingly apparent issues many are recognizing prior to releasing a 15K DAC.

As to using the CAPS 2 and JRIVER and new OS, it really is simple and really not difficult In many ways, it is easier than many of the Mac players.

But I am interested in what you find with the Alpha USB combo. Please keep us informed.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...