IGNORED

Listening Chair

Masis

This isn't directly related to Computer Audio, but nonetheless a key 'component' on our listening experience.

I am curious, do most people have high back chairs or low back chairs? I have always used a low back chair, but it seems that many people use a high back one. Wouldn't that artificially give you a 'back wall'?

discless since 2005

Power: Equitech 5WQ-E | Primary Source: Mac Mini with Pure Music | USB Interface: Soulution 590 | Amps: Dual Devialet D-Premier in Dual Mono mode | Subwoofer: Wilson Benesch Torus + Torus Amp + DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core | Speakers: Magico Q1

Semi-Retired Equipment: AudioMachina Maestro S | Aurender S10 | Transporter | TacT 2.2XP | BADA USB | BADA Series 2

Actually I have a genuine Eames already, but I don't really like it for listening. You are tilted too far back, a little to reclined. feel too relaxing, not 'alert' enough for critical listening! =)

discless since 2005

Power: Equitech 5WQ-E | Primary Source: Mac Mini with Pure Music | USB Interface: Soulution 590 | Amps: Dual Devialet D-Premier in Dual Mono mode | Subwoofer: Wilson Benesch Torus + Torus Amp + DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core | Speakers: Magico Q1

Semi-Retired Equipment: AudioMachina Maestro S | Aurender S10 | Transporter | TacT 2.2XP | BADA USB | BADA Series 2

I use an Ekornes Stressless Recliner which is similar in design to an Eames. It is very comfortable but at times I find myself naturally reclining to a greater degree than I might think optimal for listening. I have also wondered about the high back and what impact there might be on sound.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

One of the most important aspects of one's listening environment and often overlooked.

Actually studies have been performed on this stuff.

Before investing in a chair run some experiments. First find the optimal setup for your speakers.

When that is done, experiment with height as most chairs "seat" height range between 12 and 20 inches. That difference will have a HUGE effect on soundstage and is the main factor in the chair you buy.

As an experiment use a typical office chair with adjustable height, to see what fits your system best. My system, based on how I have my speakers set up is optimized with a seat height of 18".

The back should come no higher than shoulders and I prefer just below shoulders.

The smaller the footprint the better.

Cloth is much better than leather.

Comfort obviously is the most important, as if it is uncomfortable, you will not listen.

Lastly, another very often overlooked aspect of the chair, is the angulation of the ear, caused by the angle of the seat back, which will also effect soundstage. Once again, experiment, but I find a slight angle back of about 100-120 degrees (between seat to back) works best.

Many believe in ottomans, which I don't. I like to stay awake and an ottoman makes another surface directly between source and listener that has to be dealt with.

Their are many chairs fit for the task, but, in my opinion, this may be one of the most if not the most important component in your listening environment.

Great for headphone listening. Looks really, really nice in the room. When I would listen to speakers I end up sitting forward usually instead of back in the chair (same as post above).

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

I was googling, and came across Ekornes, so I actually went to try it today. Very comfortable indeed, but I find the design not too attractive, and to my eyes, it is no Eames from any angle. But it is comfortable, I will give it that.

discless since 2005

That is some GREAT advice and insights. Thank you.

Indeed, some speakers are very height sensitive. E.g., first order crossover speakers are quite picky in terms of height...

discless since 2005

But that is gonna be tiring!

discless since 2005

I look for style (in the room) and comfort over perhaps the best listening position... But then I'm a girl :-)

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

There is "balance".

Of course, there are also issue of spouse, room use, etc.

If it is theater, in which one is trying to get the most out of high end two channel audio, there WILL be sacrifices, no doubt about it.

One of the recommendations I make for those in that situation, is if possible, to actually have a dedicated chair, easily movable, that can sit in front of the "theater seats" that tend to be set up further back and tend not to be optimal for listening but optimized for "comfort".

You have people on these these and other threads spending tons of $$$ on systems and then ruining it all with the chair.

I've been looking for one of these: http://www.retrotogo.com/2007/02/sonic_chair_the.html . . .

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)

was thinking about "designing" a listening chair, someone pointed me to the "Klutz".

It is an absurdly expensive and in my opinion, not optimally designed chair for the purpose. Plus they have been talking about bringing it to market forever.

I am not a fan of leather or any metal. Every thing has a sonic footprint.

I was also looking into a neck support, based on medical braces and their "minimalist" headrest design looks like you would need a brace after using it.

From my perch, it is a dud, absurdly expensive, easily beaten by many other chairs.

I currently use a shoulder-high office chair for speaker listening. Looking to pick up a Herman Miller Aeron at some point.

For headphone listening I use my Ekornes Orion and yes, I often fall asleep in it, it's that comfy.

Bill

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W

Does a futon count? The back is below the ear if it's any consolation...

Macbook Pro 2010->DLNA/UPNP fed by Drobo->Oppo BDP-93->Yamaha RXV2065 ->Panasonic GT25 -> 5.0 system Bowers & Wilkins 683 towers, 685 surrounds, HTM61 center ->Mostly SPDIF, or Analog out. Some HDMI depending on source[br]Selling Art Is Tying Your Ego To A Leash And Walking It Like A DoG[br]

The headrest does look very odd.

But the rest looks ok.

I am actually looking at a sofa (3 seater) that costs even more.

In my case, ideally I need to look for a 3 seater, so when time comes for family movies night, it will still work...

discless since 2005