IGNORED

Ani DiFranco: Which Side Are You On

24/88 from HDtracks. Waveforms look good. The spectrograms are kinda funky but it does *not* appear to be upsampled. I'll let others with more experience interpret it. I'm a fan of Ani DiFranco and this is a strong album. Great to be able to get her in hi-rez.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

It didn't look at each track but the five or so I did all have this curious dip at about 25kHz. Care to teach me how to interpret these? You seem to suggest that these are actually 48kHz files upsampled to 88kHz.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

Thanks for the plots. You might also try setting the window size to a larger value (4096, for example) and the frequency scale to logarithmic instead of linear. I would also make sure the meter range is 145 dB (the full dynamic range of a 24-bit file) in Preferences/Interface.

So, what do we see here? A spectrum that drops down to a notch at 24 kHz, and after that there is again a rise in energy, with a softer drop as we go higher. Yes, it could be a result of some analog studio equipment/tape noise, but you would not expect that on a modern recording like this.

On the other hand, what you usually see on something that has been upsampled to DSD for CD is a steep drop towards half the original sample rate (in this case the notch is remarkably close to half of 48 kHz), and then after that a strongly increasing high frequency noise spectrum from the DSD noise shaping process. If you want to resample that into 96/24 PCM, you then have to filter away parts of that hf noise to make sure you don't have anything left at half the new sample frequency (so 48 kHz in the case of 96 kHz sample frequency). For an example of the first two stages, and a badly done 3rd stage, see the analysis of HDtracks/Chandros: Holst Orchestral Works Vol 1.

It is also interesting that the signal never drops below 80-90 dB, well within a 16-bit dynamic range.

I am not saying it is an upsample of 48 kHz material to DSD, resampled to 96 kHz PCM. All I am saying is that it shows some of the characteristic signs, but there might be other explanations. Everyone is free to judge for themselves.

• 1 year later...

There was a repeatable small audio drop out (Sound like a skip almost) on one of the songs. Did you hear it as well, beetlemainia?

Track 2: Unworry at about the 1:13 mark.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

• 2 weeks later...
There was a repeatable small audio drop out (Sound like a skip almost) on one of the songs. Did you hear it as well, beetlemainia?

Track 2: Unworry at about the 1:13 mark.

Yes, my file also presents an unsettling anomaly at 1:13. There is something similar on one song of Red Letter Year. Maybe that's how she likes it?

Yes, my file also presents an unsettling anomaly at 1:13. There is something similar on one song of Red Letter Year. Maybe that's how she likes it?

Maybe someone with the CD can confirm if that's the way she likes it.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas