IGNORED

looking for micro/mini hifi system

Hi all

Happy new Year! wish you all have healthy audiophile ears ever.........

Now i am looking for mini system such as fergusonhill fh007 and also arcam solo mini.

Are there any other choices at this level or higher?

Thank you very much

If you're in the UK there are some terrific deals on systems such as the Denon M37s right now.

I think they sound good, are stylish, have good functionality, and are well-priced.

The only niggle is that it can sound a tiny bit bright; just be careful with loudspeaker matching.

The Solo Mini is better than the Denons etc but at three times the price it isn't great value.

It is currently on offer with their Muso loudspeakers and rDock for about £1,000 as a package. For how it sounds I feel it is overpriced. I think it is the speakers that let it down, which are very small and the money looks to have gone into making them look nice, rather than sound good.

Also, having to dock an iPod means that navigation from the sofa on the other side of the room is tricky.

Personally I feel that AVI active speakers fed from a laptop/Airport Express will save just as much space as you don't need the box of electronics. It sounds in a different league, and allows better control interface - iTunes.

Obviously I've assumed that you have a laptop. Everybody I know has one, even my old mum these days.

To conclude, I think the cheaper Japanese mini systems are fantastic value, the more expensive ones from the boutique brands do sound better, but with much less value for money, considering the alternatives.

Regards,

I recently picked up a Teac Legacy 700 AV receiver/DVD. Sounds nice, works very well and being an older model, not too expensive. Maximum output is restricted to 30w but it has a lot of connections, including TOSLINK for a computer. Big contrast to my hairshirt British hi-fi.

For more upmarket offerings, whilst keeping size down, have a look at the Linn Classik range. They do a movie and cd based version. Similar in concept to the Arcam Solo.

Cambridge Audio are going to launch a similar style of system, which should be very good value:

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/summary.php?PID=354

• 1 year later...

You might research the Sugden Bijou™ Audiophile Mini-System too. I expect this is a more expensive option (Linn, Arcam.) I'm also on the lookout for a decent 'out of the box' high quality ('phile) mini system. I've tired of hunting about for and matching components, though, it's likely finding good matching speakers will always be an issue with this level of equipment. The Linn Solo/ Solo Micro Musos don't appeal to me even with the Logo sub. Naim have released the Uniti, a sort of micro, which is typically upgradeable (i.e. add in additional Naim components.) I built my current audio system using this method and would advise caution: for me it went on and on ($$$$$!!)

I know how the music should sound but my gear gets in the way.

Could look at the Cyrus range of amps and CD players. The current 8XPd even has a built in DAC. Another alternative would be Naim UnityQute (when it's finally available) or NaimUnity - these have UPnP streamer, radio (including internet radio) and (on Unity) a CD Player. Another possibility I've considered would be a DAC such as Benchmark DAC1HDR wit a built in pre-amp functionality and powered / active speakers.

It all depends what functionality you need...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

The Sugden Bijou system is sonically absolutely fantastic, but I think they have stopped making it as it has disappeared from the website.

You should also look at the AVI ADM 9.1 - this is most unusual in the fact it is built round very good active speakers with the multi input dac and preamp built in to one speaker which is fully remote controlled.

AVI have always built great kit and this is a very clever option....

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers