IGNORED

Curious - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC II reviews

Hello,

My current music server is a Mac Mini running Pure Music connected to an Anthem D2V processor via the Halide Bridge. I was thinking I could up my game by adding an outboard DAC. The Berkeley Audio Alpha DAC interests me as does the PS Audio Perfectwave Media DAC II. On paper, I like the PS Audio since it will function as a DAC and a music server.

What puzzles me is what appears to be a general lack of interest in the PS Audio products in the media. There are a number of reviews by the major magazines out there for the Berkeley Audio line, but very little on the PS Audio line. In fact, you can find reviews on virtually everything currently available, except for the PS Audio Perfectwave DAC. There were a number of posts from 2009 on this site hinting at upcoming reviews, but it looks like they never materialized.

What gives? Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Kerry Meeks

Long time reader, first time poster....

Kerry Meeks[br]Tampa

• 4 weeks later...

I upgraded mine to a MK2 in January. The new board took a long time to bun in but now sounds amazing. I also had the Bridge but did not like the UI on the controller software, so now I feed it with a Squeezebox.

Also, the new MK2 board, when set to 'Native X' allegedly drops the data on a new clock stream, so the main benefit of having the Bridge - which was that it was bit-perfect - seems to be less a factor.

Would highly recommend the PWD Mk2.

Why there are no reviews? Or why there is hating-on-PSAudio?

I don't think there is any of the latter. But as to the former, I don't think PS Audio "likes" the pro media reviewership, so I don't think they submit, or allow their products to be submitted, for review. Some companies are just like that.

PS Audio is an interesting case, actually. They're not really "traditional hi fi", if that makes sense. They've been around for a long while, and their products do have a rabid fan base, but they've been historically held at arm's length by the audio MSM. I'm a latecomer here, so I have nothing to add, other than: "Hmm, yeah, that's odd."

My assumption here is that for something to be reviewed, the company normally has to pay for it to be reviewed. Not sure what PS Audio does. I have their humbustser and it works like a charm.

I may be completely naive but I don't think manufacturers pay to have things reviewed, but they do have to supply products for review. Some manufacturers are not so keen on this.

As for reviews of the Perfect Wave DAC, I know there were reviews of the PS Audio combo (in Mk1 version) in various UK magazines and were generally positive...

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 3 weeks later...

would be: do not worry about "professional" reviews at all. All they are good for is getting a very general idea of how something might sound.

If you are interested in the PS PerfectWave DAC Mk II, find a dealer, and have a listen, or, even better, take advantage of an in home trial.

IMO, the PerfectWave Mk II sounds very good, and is certainly one of the best DACs around under $6K, and will very probably beat the pants off many DACs costing a lot more, but you should not listen to me, you should listen to PWD Mk II in your own system.

The Mk II also has a very good async USB interface, so if you do not want to go with an Ethernet connected set up, you can use a good USB server like Sonore, Auraliti, or a tweaked Mac or PC, and get fantastic performance.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Here s a link to a PS Audio forum where you can link to the first review of the MKII. It's very balanced and not written by a "fan boy."

http://www.psaudio.com/forum/#/discussion/3290/mkii-review-just-posted

I own the MKII and agree with the review except that the author did not have access to a firmware version that I believe resolves minor quibbles. It's my understanding that he's been given the firmware and may add to the review as he sees fit. Owners who have compared, place the MKII above the Berkeley but not quite in the league of the latest dCs and Meitner flagships. I owned the Meitner Super Modified BiDat for years and the MKII has even more of that musical "magic" very few DACs are capable of producing. . The MKII is in another class above the MKI, IMHO.

PS Audio Perfect Wave Transport ---> PWD MKII ---> Conrad Johnson CT5 ---> Classe\' Delta 2200 ---> Thiel CS 3 .7 ---Shunyata Triton/Zitron IC\'s/Anaconda CX PC\'s/ MacBook pro

Thy are not as popular as some because the do not have a strong dealer/high retail base. They assume the customer places value and quality above, "My gear costs more than yours, therefore, mine is better." winky-wink.

Alpha Dog>Audirvana+>Light Harmonic Geek>MacBook Pro> Sound Application Reference>Modwright Oppo 105>Concert Fidelity CF 080 preamp>Magnus MA 300 amp>Jena labs and Prana Wire cables>Venture CR-8 Signature[br]

Check out the review at hifi-advice.com

This guy seems to be a straight shooter.

Alpha Dog>Audirvana+>Light Harmonic Geek>MacBook Pro> Sound Application Reference>Modwright Oppo 105>Concert Fidelity CF 080 preamp>Magnus MA 300 amp>Jena labs and Prana Wire cables>Venture CR-8 Signature[br]

That's the review I referred to earlier. It *is* a balanced overview of the new MKII's strengths. I hope the author checks out the 2.0.2 firmware. There is also a French review out, but you'd have to be fluent to follow it. Here's something to consider: a person can get the MKI used at a bargain price and the user installable upgrade can be had for a grand. It's possible to put together the MKII for $2700. At that price, it's a super value.

PS Audio Perfect Wave Transport ---> PWD MKII ---> Conrad Johnson CT5 ---> Classe\' Delta 2200 ---> Thiel CS 3 .7 ---Shunyata Triton/Zitron IC\'s/Anaconda CX PC\'s/ MacBook pro