IGNORED

I'm having trouble finding all those high-resolution Frank Zappa downloads

hires??

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Is there a remaster of "Grand Wazoo" any where in these Zappa Remasters? I'm not sure if what I see on Amazon is the new remaster or not?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

That is all.

I am pretty much a Zappa fanatic.

I (Correct me if I'm wrong) don't think the Zappa Family Trust has, or will ever authorize any downloads of his catalog, much less Hi-Res downloads.

Zappa was always ahead of the curve in terms of technological advances in studio recording and gear for live playing.

Unfortunately, the ZFT seem to be stuck in the old school distribution model (CD only) for the best selling titles in catalog.

The best bet is to seek out the 2012 remasters, they are excellent quality, especially my personal favorite "Apostrophe" which sounds amazing, even at 16/44.1 rip.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

I am really not very well versed in Frank Zappa's material.

The Grand Wazoo on vinyl, and One Size Fits All on CD, that's it.

I prefer the instrumental stuff. Always did, Should I make an effort on one of these 5 albums?

I am very curious but was never grabbed by Zappa's. Except one time: I went to see a classical contemporary ensemble in Montreal doing some of his music at the Jazz Festival. I must admit I was amazed and loved every second of it.

Are those downloads only available for European territories? I was blocked from downloading anything from Qobuz when I tried a few months back.

You can get around the block if you use a French proxy server in your browser when you logon

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

• 9 months later...

Did get the "Grand Wazoo" remaster. Sounds better than my original LP.

• 5 years later...
19 hours ago, Kimo said:

I may give one of these a try, at least to experiment.  Perhaps, Waka.  I am pretty sure that some of the later titles would have to be 16 bit digital records, though, and hence upsampled.  

Yes, the theory would be any of the the Universal series which say source = original 1630 (umatic), ie. CD master, would be totally bogus in this format.

These seem to be the 2012 remasters, no?

I'd imagine the ones from tape were digitally remastered in 24/96?
Unless they just remastered the earlier Redbook remasters. 

I bought Grand Wazoo 2012 in CD format, it sounds quite good to me.

15 hours ago, firedog said:

These seem to be the 2012 remasters, no?

I'd imagine the ones from tape were digitally remastered in 24/96?
Unless they just remastered the earlier Redbook remasters. 

I bought Grand Wazoo 2012 in CD format, it sounds quite good to me.

These look to be the 2012 masters.  Not all of the 2012 remasters were actually remastered, at least according to what I have read.  They also used many of the original analog sources and mixes, as well.  Some updates were a lot bigger than others.

They may have done 24 bit transfers, no matter the source.  Hence, some 16 bit masters have ended up among these downloads.  The CDs note the source, so it is easy to check.

In the case of Uncle Meat, the vinyl purportedly was cut from a 24/96 transfer, but it is not available as a 24 bit download.  Jazz From Hell comes a 16 bit source, as noted on the CD, but is available in 24 bit.  

Best case scenario would be getting 24 bit transfers from which the remastered CDs, were made, but even then many of these files are sort of pointless and not cheap.