Sign in to follow this  
Jeff In San Diego

You might be an old guy if...

jglacken, I do remember that! In fact I remember doing it by myself after that when I first got into Dynaco amps and preamps and modifying tube equipment.

Here's another....You might be an old guy if you remember Grace tonearms and cartridges.

David

If you remember a tonearm protractor , names such as Nakamichi,Hafler, Dahlquist, SP-6,7,8 , 9 & 10's! And God forbid EIGHT track tape!?

thanks

Francisco

If you know that Apple were not the first with windowing. He got the idea from a Xerox machine.

As Gates (who copied the same machine) said to Jobs "I went to the rich man's house to steal his TV and found that you had already stolen it".

Jobs copied the company name from the Beatles 'Apple Corp' too. I saw them live at the Cavern Club before they were famous. How old is that?

I photocopied an alignment protractor from an old magazine only a week ago.

Must be true. Gates himself told the story on a BBC programme I watched, and made only a month or so ago. Backed up by Steve Wosniak! And I was around when Jobs look Microsoft and IBM to court for stealing his ideas. The case collapsed when they produced hard evidence of the Xerox machine. May have been called the 'Star' but I can't remember. But I do remember adverts for it in 'Byte' magazine, of which I still have the very first issue.

Well, the Star was just a commercial followup to the real thing, the Xerox Alto. Apple tried to make a cheaper, smaller version of the Alto - the Apple Lisa. It was a huge flop, mainly because of the high price, so they produced an even more scaled-down product, the Macintosh.

I used to have a Lisa in our office. At the time, you had to have one if you wanted to write programs for the Mac - the Mac was not powerful enough to run the compiler.

...your Lafayette receiver had a real walnut wood case.

iMac - iTunes(AIFF) - Squeeze 7.9- QOBUZ flac streamer - Vodafone Revolution Router - Transporter - Pathos Classic One MkIII - JM/Focal Daline 3 - dhLabs & Xindak xlr cables - Mapleshade header and footers - AppleTV3

You look at the "Save" icon in Excel and recognize what it's a picture of.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

You have a really nice collection of SCSI terminators.

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

You coded assembly on an IBM System/360 ..

2011 Mac Mini (Lion) -> Audirvana Plus -> Audioquest Cinnamon USB -> Schiit Bifrost -> Audioquest Diamondback -> Rotel RA-1520 -> Analysis Plus Oval 12/2 -> Klipsch RF-62 II

"If it sounds good, it is good ..." -Duke Ellington

if you still listen to SW radio on a Telefunken :)

2011 Mac Mini (Lion) -> Audirvana Plus -> Audioquest Cinnamon USB -> Schiit Bifrost -> Audioquest Diamondback -> Rotel RA-1520 -> Analysis Plus Oval 12/2 -> Klipsch RF-62 II

"If it sounds good, it is good ..." -Duke Ellington

@ Paul: "crystal radio sets"?!?!?!?

I know my grandmother used to talk about sitting around the 'wireless'!

Macbook Pro 2010->DLNA/UPNP fed by Drobo->Oppo BDP-93->Yamaha RXV2065 ->Panasonic GT25 -> 5.0 system Bowers & Wilkins 683 towers, 685 surrounds, HTM61 center ->Mostly SPDIF, or Analog out. Some HDMI depending on source[br]Selling Art Is Tying Your Ego To A Leash And Walking It Like A DoG[br]

@Bleednik

Young'uns... (grin)

I remember buying those sets from the ads in the back of comic books. All I could really afford at the time, and I had to save pennies for those!

I remember finding discarded old TV set and thinking myself rich beyond measure. How our views and idea change with time!

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Watch it Paul! You're encroaching on my generation now with the Sea Monkeys!

FWIW in San Francisco some folks seem to be really pleased when they find half smoken cigarettes on the street...Just goes to show one man's trash...

Macbook Pro 2010->DLNA/UPNP fed by Drobo->Oppo BDP-93->Yamaha RXV2065 ->Panasonic GT25 -> 5.0 system Bowers & Wilkins 683 towers, 685 surrounds, HTM61 center ->Mostly SPDIF, or Analog out. Some HDMI depending on source[br]Selling Art Is Tying Your Ego To A Leash And Walking It Like A DoG[br]

… you still have a “land line” telephone.

Peachtree Audio DAC-iT, Dynaco Stereo 70 Amp w/ Curcio triode cascode conversion, MCM Systems .7 Monitors

… you like to take stuff apart just to see how it works.

Peachtree Audio DAC-iT, Dynaco Stereo 70 Amp w/ Curcio triode cascode conversion, MCM Systems .7 Monitors

… you take broken stuff apart even though you know full-well it’ll just be filled with unfixable plastic components.

… you thought your Sony Walkman was revolutionary.

… it bothers you that you can’t “visualize” how a USB cable works.

… old guys on an “old guy” thread talk about your Dynaco amp like it is a prehistoric relic.

I'm not THAT old and the USB cable thing bothers me immensely!

sign your check in cursive when purchasing your Smile super deluxe box set at your local B&M outlet.

...you first started palying records on a turntable inside a television console.

(Remember those behemoths?!)

Rance