IGNORED

Audio Research DAC

Chris

I'm the newbie who posted on your comments about the B&W 802's you heard. I thought I would mention that I just found out that Audio Research is working on a reasonably, in the high end world, priced DAC to to be released late spring or thereabouts. DVD Audio and SACD all but killed DAC's in the high end for a long time. I am really happy that this application is making them viable again. Interestingly, for a venerable, mostly tube, two channel electronics manufacturer, inputs will include AES/EBU, RCA SPDIF, BNC, Toslink, and, get this, USB. They are very up front about the fact that this kind of application was a strong motivator to get them back into the marketplace. Hopefully the good people there will be in touch with people like the ones on this forum and do a thoughtful design. I'm sure the execution will be good.

Audio Research DAC8, Mac mini w/8g ram, SSD, Amarra full version, Audio Research REF 5SE Preamp, Sutherland Phd, Ayre V-5, Vandersteen 5A\'s, Audioquest Wild and Redwood cabling, VPI Classic 3 w/Dynavector XX2MkII

Hey hey rom661 - I just saw your other post and responded over there. Wow, I am very happy to hear that ARC is going to release a DAC with all those inputs. DACs are certainly back and more important than ever. I think I will call ARC tomorrow to see if they "leak" some info to me. They are actually about 10 miles from where I live. Maybe I'll get the home town treatment :-)

Did you see that ARC was purchased by an Italian company? The same company who owns Sonus Faber. Maybe the ARC designs will be brought into this century now. Even if they're not the sound is still one of the best around.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 6 years later...
...I just found out that Audio Research is working on a reasonably, in the high end world, priced DAC to to be released late spring or thereabouts

Very old post but I still hope that one day we will see a new version of the RefDAC that therefore also include streaming AND USB/HD direct playing.